Saturday, July 11, 2015

Farm and Floral Birthday Party...

Okay. So there's this thing when you're a mum... how you can feel two completely different emotions at the exact same time. You know what I'm talking about... that first time they can do something for themselves, and you're so excited and thrilled for their independence and achievement. And so heartbroken that they're growing up way too fast in front of you.


Also, it's getting harder to manipulate their little brains into doing what I want, my way. It's my husband's favourite thing.

So for the longest time, my soon-to-be-middle child (!) wanted a girly super hero party. I tried and tried to steer her elsewhere because it just didn't 'speak' to me. But hubby pointed out I had to get on board, since it was her birthday and she should get to choose. Blah blah. Whatever, so what if he's right?

And then out of left field she starts talking about her animal birthday party. Animal? But you said super hero! Oh mum, that's so last week. So we went through a couple of weeks where we kept asking her what she wanted so I knew for sure before I started spending money. Since the super hero cape I bought is now just for dress up, and all...

Animal stuck, we narrowed it down to the farm variety and I started Pinning. Then we were at Michael's and she saw some bridal stationary that was very floral and vintage and all the things her mother loves, and she said, "I want this for my birthday party." But what about the animals?! Well, she wanted both.

Okay, this girl might be starting to outshine me in the party planning department.



I had so much on hand for this one, so it actually just sort of came together itself. And when I set this table up off the kitchen, I kind of wanted to just leave it there because it looked so pretty. But then I'd have to have cake at the ready all the time, and that just sounded like work.

We picked some pretty spring pastel colours, and went from there...


Not a huge amount of paper crafting this time around... but we did make these pretty favour tops. I just picked up some candies that fit the colour theme, and my oldest assembled it all together.


We tried to make the food serve the theme by giving it farm themed names, and Emma (not quite 7) did all the little chalkboards for me.


Also, fruit in jars. The strawberries were almost too ripe, so I made them into a syrup, and put them on the bottom, then added the other berries. Because they look so cute, you don't even realize you're eating something mostly healthy!


I wanted to put my old scale on the table because I thought it added to the feel, so we decided to prop our 'hay stacks' on top of it, using one of my grandma's antique china plates. Did I mention this was for a five year old? My hubby shakes his head at me often, but I just don't get why...


And then I borrowed some stamps and dies from a local stampy friend, and created cupcake toppers.



When it's piping hot outside, you can't get picky with icing style. So I decided we were doing things rustic and simple. Which means, I got what I got, and went with it.

I've seen these 'naked' cakes all over Pinterest, and absolutely adore them. I am not joking when I tell you I had to negotiate with said five year old to let me decorate her cake this way. She was more interested in layers of lacy looking fondant and airbrushing. I guess they don't understand that just because it's on Pinterest doesn't mean real people can actual make these things...


Now we're in the midst of getting ready for a birthday party at the end of August, scheduled for less than a week before my due date with #3. Also, the popular birth date for the baby pool my oldest is hosting. I'm just crossing my fingers I can fake my way through it well enough for her to feel like she got what she wanted!

So that was our Farm and Floral party, and I loved how it all turned out. Maybe dad's little clone is more like me than I realize? In any case, thanks for stopping by, and hopefully you liked it too!

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...