Monday, March 3, 2014

Falling in Love With Milk Paint...

Hello friends!

Did you ever watch Monty Python? "And now for something completely different..."

I know you usually come here to see something made of paper... so I hope you'll forgive me when I share something that is definitely not made out of paper.

As you know, we've started renovations on our home, which was built in 1969. Lots of old details, but definitely not the kind I am looking for - I don't really love wood panelling or blue toilets. Maybe it's just me?

Me, I love old. Farmhouse. Beat up... rustic. Distressed. Things that tell a story and lived a life long before I was even a concept. But for all the amazing finds other bloggers have picked up in alleys and by the side of the road, I just don't have that kind of luck. So I wondered if there was another way...

Enter: Milk Paint.

Long story short. We're in the middle of our bathroom renovation, and decided to build our own vanity, as we couldn't find anything we liked. When I was trying to figure out what kind of finish to do, I started doing some looking around (which is code word for hours lost to Pinterest). One link led to another and I found Miss Mustard Seed.

I devoured her blog like one reads a good book - taking the iPad to bed with me at night and doing the whole "Just one more post..." routine. I learned all I could about milk paint and how to work with it, and knew it was perfect for our vanity (and probably every other piece of furniture I'll ever look at).

I decided to start out on something smaller, to get a feel for it. Shirley had a plant stand that she was tired of, and had been thinking about painting. Lucky for me, she loves the same look I do, so she was on board!

Ready for pictures?

The only before picture I have includes an adorable daughter. I promise I took proper befores when I got down to painting, but apparently the whole 'have three camera cards floating throughout the house' routine isn't working for me.


Ignore the poser, and look at the stand. Great bones, boring faded wood, gorgeous marble top. Paint me, it says.

So I did.

I actually did a layer of Lucketts Green first, but you have to really be up close to notice. So the main colour you see is Linen. I would have gone with Ironstone (these are the three colours I have started my collection with, but trust me, it's going to grow), except the upholstered furniture all has cream tones, so I was trying to follow that.



Pretty quickly (since the paint dries at something like lightening speed), I could see the magic starting - and it was pretty exciting to see!


I was surprised at how little sanding and scraping (which seems like a strong word) it took to get this beautiful distressing and chipping.



And because the paint dried so fast, this entire thing, including waxing (I used MMS Antiquing Wax) was done in less than three hours - and even then I feel like it's a generous estimate.

Here is the finished product:


Isn't it gorgeous? Well, I think so and Shirley loves it, so I call it a win.

I hope you won't mind if I share more projects like this one... these are the sorts of things that will fill a lot of my time in the next while, so I'd love to keep showing you what we're up to!

I am also linking this up to the MMSMP Blog, for the Milkpaint Masterpiece Monday.

Thanks for visiting guys!

Pin It

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, go ahead and share any of these projects you feel like sharing! This is fabulous! Great job, Meredith! (And the little poser is beautiful, too).

Kim M said...

This is awesome! I love this look! I've got an old buffet and hutch from the 1870s I need to refinish and I've been considering milk paint. I also love that old farmhouse feel. We live in an old house over a hundred years old. It needs lots of work. The ceiling in the kitchen area has a real tin ceiling! :-). What brand of milk paint did you use? Keep sharing you home Reno projects for sure! :-)

Maureen said...

oh, wow! This is gorgeous! I love the look too! Keep sharing this!

Geri said...

Oooo...it IS nice!!! And I really got a kick out of hearing about the 'milkpaint masterpiece monday'!;)

Kim M said...

I checked out Miss Mustard Seed. Awesome! Showed my husband and he likes it too. Hoping to get the china cabinet finished this summer sometime. When it's done I'll definitely share a picture with you! Thanks for the info! :-)

Charlene said...

WOW I LOVE this!! It looks shabby, which I love and makes me want to try!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...