Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Tree 2013...

It's sort of becoming a 'thing' around here that I share my Christmas tree with you on Christmas Eve. I am not sure why I started it, but it seems to be a fairly popular post - so I thought I'd keep it up!

This year, we are in a new (to us) home, and while it's dated and pretty uh.. well... let's face it, it's ugly... we're really loving the extra space. So we have added another tree to our (my) collection! More on that, but first - here's a tree you've seen before.


We have a space that will become a family room when we're finished renovating, so this tree is in that room. It's my 'matchy matchy' tree, and until this year it was red and white with some silver. In my crafting I've grown to just LOVE that combination with the addition of aqua. So over the year, I collected enough aqua ornaments to add it to my tree, and I love how it looks!

You might remember that earlier this year we lost my mum to cancer. Up until things took a turn a few years ago, she would buy me one special ornament every year. So I thought I'd share a couple of those this year...


When she started the tradition, my tree was gold and burgundy, so a lot of them follow that theme. But that's okay, it works with red! This is a Laura Ashley enamel ornament and I think the grosgrain must be silk or something, because it just has such a nice drape to it. This is a heavy one, though!


This is one of my favourites. It's hand-painted, and the jewel tones really pop. She always told me what made her choose them, and this one she said, "I don't know why, I just did!" I can tell why - this is a very 'her' ornament!


This is another one that is 'so' Jacki... she loved untraditional details, especially in traditional icons. The twirly hat and curly beard would have been what attracted her to this one.


And sometimes, it was just the obvious choice. This is actually an acrylic snowflake, and yet it sparkles like crystal. And of course, you know me and snowflakes!


I love love LOVE handblown glass, so when she saw this one, even though the colour was off, she knew I would love it. It's definitely one of my favourites!

These are just a sampling of the ornaments from my mum, but they were the ones that jumped out at me. Just a little something to share!

For our living room (which is stuck in the 60's - desperate for a facelift!), we were a bit stuck as to where to put our big tree. It was my husband who suggested we find a smaller tree for that room. You don't have to suggest more than once that I add a tree!

My love for all things old and vintage has spilled into the holidays, and I also started collecting some antique tree ornaments. Shirley came in handy - she always has something tucked away it seems!


I found this tree at IKEA, and loved it's realistic look and modest stature. I think it's perfect for all the old ornaments and fits the bill wonderfully.

Do you know anyone looking for wood panelling? We have plenty...

Well, that's it for me this Christmas Eve! Don't forget your stockings, a cookie or two, and of course a carrot for Rudolph!

Pin It

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful trees, Meredith! I love that you have all of those ornaments from your Mum to give you years of memories. :-) Don't worry about your lovely wood paneling, it's retro. ;-) My house is a 1970s marvel in desperate need of renovation also, LOL!

Michelle said...

Oops, I'm pretty sure I forgot to say "Merry Christmas"!!

cm said...

Thank you for sharing your tree, your ornaments and especially, your mom, with us! The ornaments carry such meaning; treasures, for sure! Your home looks cozy and warm; renovations to transform it into "yours" will come! Wood paneling - yes, I've experienced that before :)
Wishing you a most Merry Christmas, filled with peace, joy and LOVE!
c

Heather Jensen said...

Beautiful trees! Merry Christmas to you and your family. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...