Monday, July 1, 2013

I AM...



... Proud. Patriotic.

CANADIAN.

Today is the day that we quietly celebrate our birthday. We are learning to shout just a little bit louder about how awesome this country is, but for the most part, we like to stay pretty humble. 

But there are a few things that make this country pretty cool... and I would venture a guess that any Canadian who reads my post today will feel all kinds of proud at the end of it.

For one thing, we are a country filled with talent. Google Canadian actors and comedians, and you might be surprised how many familiar faces you see.

Photo Source
My absolute favourite Canada Day was actually spent in London, England in the street outside a tiny little pub called The Maple Leaf. *Packed* with Canadians, all having a great time. The best moment was when a Hip song started to play, and we ALL starting to sing our hearts out. It was an incredible moment of patriotism.

We have our own lingo - iconically Canadian terms that are recognized country wide, and standard language for us. And it's fun for us to have words that are our own, because it's these small nuances that separate us from our neighbours to the south.

Photo Source
Tim's. Enough said.

Photo Source

We have poutine. Oh, how I love poutine. If you haven't tried some, you should head for the border. 

Unknown Source

We are pretty good at hockey... 

Photo Source

Photo Source
I love Bay blankets... I have a non-traditional one, but I have one all the same. They are steeped in history, and just generally beautiful. Oh yeah, and they're quintessentially Canadian.

Photo Source
I only recently found out that Butter Tarts are Canadian. Who knew? Too bad for the rest of the world. These babies are delicious.

Photo Source
This image was making the rounds on Facebook awhile ago... I found it hilarious, myself!

And I leave you with one of my most favourite photos, taken by my brother in his new home, Scotland. You can take the Canadian out of Canada, but you can't take the Canada out of the Canadian.

Happy Canada Day!

Pin It

9 comments:

Michelle said...

That was fun! Happy Canada Day, Meredith! I love your brother's photo, very clever. :-)

Elena said...

LOVE! and proud to be a Canadian for sure!

Claire said...

Even though I'm not Canadian Meredith, I totally agree with you..it is the best country! I met my husband there 20 years ago and went back just a few weeks ago. I'm still in love with the place and felt like I was going home...Happy Canada Day!

Maureen said...

O Canada! What a great homage to the country we love :) And Canada also has Meredith, so that's pretty cool too! I'm heading down to our big park for Art in the Park early as it's going to be hot and busy! Have a great one, eh!

Leigh Penner said...

Fabulous post, Meredith! That map totally made me laugh!
Happy Canada Day to you!

Ardyth Percy-Robb said...

Oh phew, you remembered the butter tarts! Thought I was going to have to remind you! lol! Great post! Happy Canada Day!

canadian_liner said...

Enjoyed your post; a few chuckles as we recover from our "quiet" Canada Day yesterday... yeah--butter tarts--had to make our own during 10 years in the US. Congrats on your "re-boot" with the 10-min craft dash!

Dana Nelson said...

loved this! :)

Rebecca Luminarias said...

I just got so excited to see The Tragically Hip and Tim Horton's in your post, neither of which we have in Southern California. It made me so nostalgic! Happy belated Canada Day and congrats for staying on another term at the Craft Dash!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...