Monday, March 4, 2013

Flourishes Beautiful World Tour - Sweet Friend...

Somehow, it's March already, can you believe it? I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that it's time for another Beautiful World Tour, but here we are, the first Monday of March!


As always, if you've ended up here by chance, I encourage you to go back to the Flourishes Blog and start at the beginning! And, don't forget that your tour around the world can win you free Flourishes stamps! Just make sure you comment on all of the designer's blogs along the way, and your name could be randomly chosen to win a free set of your choice. The catch is that you never know which designer's blog the prize will be drawn from!



This month, Sasha challenged us to create a bookmark. At first, I was definitely stumped, because I had already made one of the over-the-corner-of-the-page types, and I wanted to try something new. But really, how many different ways can you go with a bookmark, right? Pinterest to the rescue!


Isn't that a neat idea? My elastic is a bit loose (I can never properly measure these kinds of things, no matter how hard I try), but it still works. Initially I had the idea to stitch on top of the stamped image, but let me save you the wonder: it didn't look good.


If you're interested in a tutorial, I won't mind making one, but it is really quite simple to construct. I stamped directly onto some rose patterned cotton, just using my pigment inks - nice and crisp!



It also works well to hold your pages open, which allows it to serve another purpose - if you wanted to use it with a cookbook, for instance.



And now I just need to mention this *awesome* book of Shirley's (I've already told her where to send it when she's bored with it)... it's a collection of Robbie Burns' poems, from the year 1880. It's incredibly fragile and beautiful. I love that his poems are written with the Scottish dialect I love so much (since I grew up around it!)... just lovely.

That's it from me today, and I am your last hop on this trip around the world, so now you can make your way back to the Flourishes blog and make sure you didn't miss anyone on the way!

Pin It

30 comments:

Anne-Elise said...

Wow, what a gorgeous bookmark, Meredith! Great idea, love it! Fab work! Hugs

Naomi said...

Oh, Meredith, this is GORGEOUS! A wonderful idea, indeed. Love the image you chose and how you stamped it on the rose print fabric...so dainty and that crochet lace is the perfect touch!

I was going to mention the beautiful book...it was printed in 1880? Amazing!

Hugs,
Naomi

Bridget said...

What a vintage beauty, Meredith, so feminine, and I love the way you've photographed it on an antique book...the whole thing looks like it should be sitting on Jane Austen's dressing table! Gorgoeus!

Marie-Louise said...

Super idea and marvellous bookmark.

Elena said...

absolutely beautiful. And that book is equally breath-taking. I feel like I can smell it from here ;)

Sasha said...

Such a fabulous unique bookmark, Meredith. I love that you stamped onto fabric, which looks so soft and pretty x

Geri said...

Oh, how sweet this is!!!

Mrs. GraceWorks said...

I don't know which is nicer -- the bookmark or that scrumptious book of old poetry!! What a fun idea!!

Tricia

Angela Fehr said...

This is beautiful, Meredith.

Mary-Anne V said...

What a unique bookmark...like how you can use it inside and out.

Becky said...

What a gorgeous bookmark.

Helen said...

What a great idea! Fabric, lace and elastic - you made it look very sweet!

Sandy said...

I love the stamped rose fabric, and the doily. Using the elastic is a great idea, and very useful for holding the book open. Absolutely beautiful.

Allison Cope Israels said...

What a stunning and rather delicate bookmark Meredith! Love the lace around the edge. Very beautiful!

zehra said...

I like the embroidered look this bookmark gives, beautiful, love it

Sue D said...

Very unique bookmark--thanks for sharing this idea.

Karen W said...

Wow this is fantastic, fabulous idea and beautifully done!

Heather Jensen said...

What a beautiful bookmark! Love the pretty lace detail. :)

Melanie Ann MacKenzie said...

What a really clever idea. Lovely job. Cheers.

Kris B said...

What a unique and beautiful bookmark! I would love a tutorial! Stunning!! TFS God bless!!

Maureen said...

I never arrive here by chance. I always want to come and be totally inspired :) LOVE your take on a book mark :) Yep, totally inspired again!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

beautiful.....reminds me of something you would see in the Victorian period. cherry

Linda said...

Amazing idea. Love the vintage feel.

Kathy Jones said...

SQUEAL!!! Meredith, I love what you've done here!! I would never have thought of fabric and love how it's on elastic - absolutely brilliant!!! I also love that you've showcased it on the Robbie Burns poems! Beautiful! :)

Linda S. said...

What a lovely bookmark. It would make a lovely gift for any friend. What a nice idea that it "lives" on the outside of a book so as to be enjoyed more.

lisa808 said...

Lovely.

Victoria said...

Totally genius! Love it. The fact that its in a book of the Bards is even better! I'm a fellow Scot.... Was born there and grew up in Canada.... But my folks instilled our culture as good Scots do!! Thanks for sharing such a beautiful book mark!!

Ravengirl said...

What a unique bookmark! I think it's delightful!

Theresa said...

What a lovely and unique bookmark.

Connie MacFarlane said...

Love this Meredith! Fabulous way to create a bookmark!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...