Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Baby... and I've Been Sewing!

If you knew me and sewing, you would know that we don't get along very well. Such ridiculous mistakes that you've never even thought of, and I make all of them! And you want me to make all those stitches come out in a straight line? Good luck.

But before I get to all of that, I have a card to share with you! I made this for my friend who is expecting her first little baby girl in a couple of months. I like to make cards when the couples share the good news - you know, because it's a good excuse to make a pretty card!


And again, I am seeing pixelation in my photos... I really am not sure what is up with that, as I am editing them the same as always... I'll have to keep trying, I suppose?

Anyway... because I know that most of the baby cards I give out will likely be kept, I like to really put a lot into them. I figure they're good ones to go all out on, you know?


I used some of the goodies from Crate Paper's Little Bo Peep line, because what else is there? And the new mum-to-be loved it, so I was glad I put all the little details in there that I did!

Now, on to the sewing.

You might already know this about me, but when I plan my girls' birthday parties, I like all the tiny details to coordinate. In June (yes, a LONG time from now!), we're celebrating Josie's third (!) birthday with a Strawberry Party. I have been keeping an eye on the spring lines coming, and so far, no strawberries. So I thought that maybe, just maybe, I might be able to do this myself. And then I could make something that would coordinate for Emma, which always makes my heart sing.

And you know what?

I did it!


I am sure you've seen the pillow case dresses that are all over Pinterest, so I won't go into much detail, but the point is that I basically had to sew a rectangle. So I really felt like probably I could handle that. Of course, then I had to complicate matters by adding a ruffle, a second pattern, and making my own tie-up, rather than just thread a ribbon through there.


Josie's dress has strawberries on the main part of it, and is accented by the plaid at the bottom. I used an aqua damask pattern for my tie and ruffle - all of which will be included as colours for the other party elements.


Emma's is the opposite of Josie's... with the same ruffle and tie. Hey, want to know the fun part about the aqua fabric? It's a pattern from Basic Grey, from their Blitzen collection (I think)! It all comes back to paper, people...

Now look at those dresses together... adorable, right? Or is it just their mother?


How on *earth* did they get so big?

We also picked up a dress today for Emma's Princess Party later in the summer (yes, I know how crazy I am), so we thought she should try that on... which of course meant she had to pose for the camera.


Now that I am a professional seamstress, I plan to make some alterations to this one to suit her party colours and make it just a little more princess-y. But in the meantime, she still looks pretty!

Okay, now you have to see Josie's true colours... when we were in Disneyland, we were planning to buy them each a princess dress (they wear them more than their own clothing around here!), so I asked Josie which princess did she want to be? "Prince Philip." I definitely looked like the stubborn mother, forcing her daughter into a Tiana dress, while she cried out for her sword. Now, she wasn't feeling well, which meant she was extra sensitive and moody. Of course, once I had the dress on her, she wouldn't take it off, as I suspected. And *of course* we bought her the sword! So after she'd been treated to a total princess makeover, she walked around in her dress, make up and hair-do, wielding her sword... just like this:


Look at her perfect pose... I kid you not, no one even showed her how to hold any of this properly...

Here she is, "En garde!"


Do you see her Sleeping Beauty shoes? She's a well rounded girl... a dress, heels, and a sword. Have I mentioned the hilarious faces she makes?


Gosh I love them... such characters, and so incredibly different, it's fascinating.

So there you have it. I sewed! And I think I even passed... now I want to make a whole slew of them in all kinds of fun fabrics. Each dress took somewhere around half a yard plus a little bit for the trim, so they're definitely cheap to make too! I used this tutorial and just sort of changed it as I needed to incorporate my other patterns in there.

Did you make it this far? If so, thanks!! You'll see me again on Friday when we have our first Festive Friday challenge, so please please come back and play along!

Pin It

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Those dresses are GREAT! You ARE a LITTLE crazy planning birthdays so far out, but your version of planning is probably better than my version (What? The party's tomorrow? Wah! What am I going to do????). I have a little Josie, too. She's 5. I love that you bought your Josie a sword and shield! She's learning early that girls can do anything! :-)

Elena said...

Haha - Josie is hilarious! Love the card - the patterned paper for "baby" is so pretty. And wow, you made gorgeous little pillowcase dresses!

June K said...

Such a beautiful card (and of course with the pretty bows). Your friend will love the card. Thanks for sharing your sewing talent. Those dresses you made are so cute. And Emma is gorgeous in her princess dress. I guess Josie is a little bit tomboy, isn't she? Meredith, you are so organized. Your certainly plan way in advance.

MommaSue said...

Beautiful card, beautiful outfits and, of course, beautiful girls!

Charmaine Stack said...

Wow, they have grown so much. Real little ladies now, if somewhat ferocious! Enjoy them while you can, it zooms by fast.

Heather Jensen said...

You go girl! Super cute card and what a fabulous job you did on the dresses! Love the fabric combination. Your girls are darling. :)

Hugs~

Geri said...

OK...I'm laughing...about a couple things...#1...I think she'd make a great pirate with that snarl and curled up eyebrow...#2...yes, I'm laughing that you already have the dress!!! You need counseling!!! #3...just smiling at the thought of those sweet dresses...ADORABLE! And so are the girls...these photos of them together are awesome!!! I can't believe how big they are! And the card...one of THE sweetest baby cards I've seen!!!

Rebecca Luminarias said...

SUPER job on those dresses! They're so cute and so are your daughters--they really have the best facial expressions!

Jill Norwood said...

Meredith,
This post just made me smile so BIG! Your girls are totally adorable and I am sooo glad that I am not the only Mother who cannot sew a straight line! I am working on it...slowly...and I don't have to feel too guilty since my machine only cost $29.99! LOL!
Thanks for sharing your adorable pillow case dresses! The girls are precious as are the sweet strawberry dresses!
:) Jill

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...