Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving - Pumpkin Cheesecake...

We're winding down our long weekend here... it's incredible - we've had summer like weather all weekend for our Canadian Thanksgiving. What a treat!

I am not here to share something paper-y today... I hope you don't mind? I offered to make dessert for our turkey dinner and it was so delicious, I thought I would share the recipe with you!



I *love* pumpkin pie... it's just so delicious, and it's the best part of Thanksgiving dinner (truth be told, I don't really love turkey). I also *love* cheesecake. Wait... I can combine them both? Yes please!



The thing is, cheesecake seems so intimidating, and yet it's incredibly easy to make. I even made mine with 95% fat free cream cheese, and it was still delicious! It's not quite as firm with the lower fat content, but you'll hardly notice, I promise!



So here is the recipe, which I adapted a bit from a copycat Cheesecake Factory recipe I found online.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 1/2 Cups graham wafer crumbs
5tbsp butter, melted
1 1/2 Cups sugar
3 - 8oz packages 95% fat free cream cheese
1 Cup pumpkin pie filling
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

To make the crust, combine the crumbs and 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Drizzle the melted butter over top, and combine until crumbly. Press into springform pan, and bake in 350 degree oven for 5 minutes. Set aside, but leave the oven on.

In electric mixer, cream together remaining sugar and cream cheese. Add eggs, vanilla and pumpkin pie filling, and cream together until smooth. 

Pour into crust and bake for at least an hour. Keep an eye on your cake - mine took close to an hour and a half to be cooked in the middle - my hubby was in charge at the end, and he just shut the oven off  at the hour mark and left the cake in there while it cooled, at least another 20 minutes. I think the different cream cheese probably affects the cooking time, and pumpkin tends to take a long time in itself. Just keep a watch for the golden crust, and that a knife comes out cleanly from the middle!

Let the cake cool for as long as you can to let the flavours combine. When you can't stand it any longer, dive in!

You could also garnish it with whipped cream, if you were feeling indulgent! *wink*



There you go! If you're in the States and are still looking forward to Thanksgiving, you can file this away to serve your guests! If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks for popping in... I'll be back to regularly scheduled paper posts in a day or two!

Pin It

4 comments:

Elena said...

YUM! That looks so delicious! I made pumpkin cupcakes with a cinnamon cream cheese icing, and they were pretty good too....the real question is if we should be good, or grab a leftover portion for breakfast this morning, hee hee.

Geri said...

It looks so tasty!! Thanks for sharing, I just might try it! Sounds like you've enjoyed your weekend! Yay!

Maureen said...

looks yummy, Meredith! We had glorious weather too :) Now back to the grind! LOL

Deborah Frings said...

That looks so delicious! I think even I could manage this :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...