Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ballerina Birthday Portraits...

4...

I remember being four. I remember my mother being pregnant with my brother. I remember staying with friends when she went into the hospital to deliver him. I remember him coming home, and I remember her nursing him - which was when I started nursing my dolls, of course. I remember going to daycare... I remember so much from that age.

So when I had my first daughter, it was so strange for me to think that one day she would reach 4. Four is no longer a toddler, definitely not a baby anymore... she's a kid. A real live, growing up, little person. I blinked, and suddenly we are preparing for preschool and ballet lessons. Where did my tiny little baby go? I so vividly remember the day she was born... how is it possible that four years has passed?


The fun part about her being four is that she is turning into such a beautiful little person. We are moving out of tantrums (most days), and into a girl who can articulate her feelings, share stories, tell jokes.




She's such a wonderful big sister... she is constantly trying to teach my littlest how to do things like a big girl. She tries to teach Josie new words, new skills, new games...

And the imagination... I am so proud of her creativity and knack for make-believe. She can so easily entertain herself for hours, and while she has every toy a girl could ever want, most of her favourites are ones she's repurposed from other items (an old nighty of her grandmother's that is her Wendy dress when she plays Peter Pan, for instance). She loves to colour, draw, and even better... stamp!


She has been so excited about her birthday - because she could create decorations to help me, and make thank you cards for all her guests - and I promise you, I didn't ever even suggest such a thing. What a heart.



To see such a little person developing into such an incredible human being makes me so unbelievably proud. Just yesterday, when her grandmother stubbed her toe and said "Ouch!", without hesitation, Emma came right up beside her and said "Do you need a kiss?" Ah... she makes my heart swell.


Four years ago today, I looked into those beautiful eyes for the first time, and thought, "Wow. That's *my* baby." I had no idea the journey I was about to embark on, or how big my heart was about to grow. I didn't know just how drastically this child would alter the landscape of my life forever. But how lucky I am that she did... Happy Birthday to my Beautiful Girl!


Now, I am no talented photographer (my brother got those genes), but I have fun... and I think she did too!

You might have noticed that I haven't shared birthday portraits from Josie's day in June... I was so lucky to have my brother visit from Scotland just before her birthday, so he took them for me this year... he's been busy with a hundred other things in the meantime, but he keeps promising me they're coming! When they're ready, you'll see them, I promise! *wink*

Thanks for sitting through my long post and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Pin It

7 comments:

Elena said...

she's a beauty!

June K said...

Such a cutie, Meredith. Thanks for sharing.

Geri said...

Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!!!

Angela Fehr said...

I love her dimples! Happy Birthday!

Betty Wright said...

Meredith, she is gorgeous! Wonderful photos and the story made me emotional. I just move my dd Erica into her dorm Thursday. Time does fly by so fast. Sweet and moving story!

Pauline said...

She is just beautiful Meredith, what a lovely post.

Kim said...

What a little doll, just so sweet and precious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...