Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Happy Birthday Josie!



As promised, I have a post stuffed with pictures of Josie's second birthday party to share with you. I shared the invites with you a couple of weeks ago, and now I have the rest of my projects and planning to show you.


I can't even fathom how this child is two already, but there it is, staring me in the face! Anyway, I had to embrace it and plan a party, so ahead I went. I wanted everything to have an aged, vintage appeal, so with that in mind, I planned a celebration full of home made baked sweets.



You must forgive the photos, as the day was dreary and very, very grey and dark. Welcome to spring in Vancouver!

Between Shirley and I, we prepared everything on this table except the cookies - it was just easier to pay someone else to make those!


Delicious, sweet and gooey. I made little signs for everything, so that it was easy to identify what guests were choosing for themselves.



Oh, Shirley's cream puffs.... these are deadly (and I just remembered I have a couple left in the fridge... hmmm...). She makes them first thing in the morning so they are as fresh as possible, and I could eat the entire tray without even trying... I don't even know how there were any left over!



I am sure you've seen the cake pop craze that's taking over the internet these days... but I am just not into all that work... so instead I bought Timbits (doughnut holes) and dipped them in white chocolate. Then, I had the best idea... take lustre dust, mix it with some vodka (this is what you do if you want to paint royal icing with it, because the alcohol evaporates and leaves only the colour/shimmer behind), and splatter it onto my treats, to mimic the splatters on all my paper goods!



I found these little cups at the craft store, and knew I had to use them since they so closely resembled the patterns I was already using. I didn't know what I would *put* in them, but... then I figured, since she's a little girl, Teddy Grahams were perfect!


And while there was of course birthday cake, I also made cupcakes to go with all the sweets! So I made postage stamp toppers to tie in with the postcard invitations I sent out.


If you ever thought making homemade lemonade from scratch was hard... think again. And I have the *perfect* recipe, because it makes a concentrate, so you get lots and lots for little work. And it's delicious!


To go with the lemonade, I made a pink punch:


So easy, and it was delicious also! I don't believe in hard work, have you guessed? *wink*


Have you grabbed onto the spraypainteverything craze? Pinterest is full of inspiration, which is where I got the idea to make these sprayed mason jars. Oh MY how I love them. 



This tray was purchased for *so* little at the thrift store, and a coat of spray paint gives it new life. I may be addicted. Look at this neat dish full of candy, which used to be a sad little aluminum outcast:




The cake... oh the cake, I just loved it. I made the banner for the top, then I made the cake stand with a dessert plate upturned on the bottom, a vase, and an old tin tray. Fun, right?!

If you've been here before for one of my party posts, you know that I always make a banner:



And here is a close-up of the blooms I created to go between my pennants:



I also created some yarn lanterns... I'll re-purpose them for Emma's party later in the summer, because they look *so* neat:


I also usually create a party hat for my girls to wear, and this is the one I made for this party...


Mum and the birthday girl, getting ready to blow out the candle:



And her close-up:


Oh, how I adore her.

Finally, I made wraps to cover chocolate bars so we could give favours to all of our guests;



If you've made it this far, you're a champ! I had a lot of fun putting this party together (I always do, really), and seeing all the plans through... but I am glad to have a slight break before I start with the next one!

Thanks for popping by, and if you're interested in any of the recipes for the sweets and drinks I shared, or you want links for tips on creating your own custom cake plate or yarn lanterns, just leave me a comment or pop me an email - I am glad to help!

Pin It

15 comments:

Elga said...

MEREDITH IS A SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristii said...

Oh my goodness!!! What an amazing party!!! So many amazing details!!! You are totally amazing!

Angela Fehr said...

Really fun and adorable, Meredith! I always have big plans for my kids' birthdays, but run out of energy long before the big day!

Pauline said...

Wow! What a lot of work and effoert you put in! What a lucky girl to have such a wonderful mummy! I love all the little tags, and tabs, bunting and the sweet party hats, my favourite thing, with the pom pom trim! I hope you are now getting a well deserved rest!

Tina said...

Beautiful! Please share the link or recipe for the lemonade.

Cassie_lu said...

What an amazing job on the party. Loved how you tied it all together.

Leigh said...

Oh, wow, what a ton of work! But so lovely, Meredith!
I LOVE your spray painted mason jars and trays.... do you have to prep them first? How do they wash?

Karen C. said...

What colourful and fun birthday celebration for your two year old sweetie!! I love the sparkly '2' on her birthday hat and cake!

Sonya said...

Can you plan my next birthday party? Please? Your girls are very lucky. Loved everything about it. Good work, Meredith.

Sonya said...

Weird, my first comment disappeared. Anyways....lovely party. Your girls are very lucky. Can we invite Shirley and her cream puffs to our next get together? Loved how everything went together and your attention to detail is cah-razy.

Geri said...

Everything looks absolutely adorable and delicious! LOVE the colors you chose (but I told you that awhile back) Her little hat is too cute! I, too, love those painted jars...CUTE! She's a lucky girl to have a mommy like you to make everything so special. (They WILL appreciate it someday!! LOL) Beautiful, Meredith!!

Joan B said...

seriously, I'm speechless. gorgeous

Kara said...

so sweet!! every little detail...perfect!:)

Maggie said...

You had me at Timbits...I love those things....Dunkin Donuts down here just can't compare. Now I need to make a border run and grab some and dip them in white chocolate, which would be a really long border run. You went above and beyond with all your goodies, which look spectacular.

Elena said...

AH-mazing! First of all, the birthday girl is adorable in her party hat! All of your decorations are vintage perfection! And all that spray-painting looks so great! Can you wash them afterwards ok? Love, love, love! I'm bookmarking this post so I can come back to it :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...