Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Happy Birthday...

I am such a fan of Betsy Veldman... she is magic with stamps, and I've learned *so* much from watching her blog and her Make it Monday videos. This week, she is hosting the challenge again, and lucky for me, I had cards at the ready that fit the challenge!


I'll break this into two posts, just for the sake of linking up, but I had two projects that I'd created previously that actually fit with this week's MIM Challenge: mixing patterned papers.

I love mixing patterns... I love it on paper, I love it in my home, I love it in my garden... yes, my garden! Plants also have different patterns and textures, right?


Last weekend, Emma went to her friend's 4th birthday party. Was she ever excited... and Belle (Beauty & The Beast) even showed up! The girls were in awe... so adorable. I made this card for Em's little friend - after creating another one and quickly realizing that it was very much an adult card... I just don't have the goods in my stash to make kids' cards. Time to go shopping, right? *wink*

Now, if this hadn't been for a child, I would have roughed up those edges and done some stitching. But I figured that little K might not even notice my handiwork, so better to save myself the time! I was supposed to be packing up the craft room anyway.


So when I mix papers, I do a lot the same as Betsy showed in her video... I start with one I know I want to use, and try to match colours from there. With this particular card, I started with the cupcake, that I knew I wanted to paper piece. I picked a paper that would work well for the top, chose a pattern that worked well as the liner, and grabbed a green for the leaves - all from my scraps. Then I dug through some more, and picked out a few florals to use as my background.

It broke down like this: The first paper had yellow flowers, as well as blossoms that went well with Autumn Rose, which I was already planning for my card base and scallop circle (to tie in my base). The rose coloured blossom paired well with my purple floral, and the yellow flowers tied in my yellow paper. Did you catch all that?

Emma also made a card for her little friend, and I swear to you, the *only* thing I did on this card was fold the construction paper. I know I'm her mother, but she impresses me with her skills!


See? The sticker serves as the starting point, and then Emma drew the body/dress and arms from there. Totally her idea... And she's already working on her Generational Stamping technique!

Alright, I have another project to share with you, also using mixed patterns! Stay tuned...

Pin It

8 comments:

Pauline said...

A beautiful card Meredith, I love these pretty chintzy papers, and the sweet cupcake.

Elena said...

hee hee - her card is so cute! I love watching the little ones create - my daughter started building this cardboard castle yesterday, complete with cut-out doors and toilet-paper-roll turrets at the top (ok, it's more "factory" than "castle" at this point, but way to go for the creativity, right?) And love your cupcake card - so sweet.

Geri said...

So, so perfect for a little girl!! And...love Emma's sweet creation, too!

Luanne said...

Oh Meridith! This is just a delightful mix of patterns! Love it!! I agree, I learn tons from Betsy too! TFS!

Joyce said...

What a great job you did with your patterned papers. Just so yummy and luscious. But the real show stopper today is your daughter's card, which is just precious. She really has the eye!

Deborah Frings said...

What a super cupcake - so pretty! You do use such pretty papers.

I think Emma has made a wonderful card - she obviously enjoyed herself!

Leigh said...

Very pretty, Meredith! I love patterned papers, too-- I have quite the collection! HA!
I love your mix of patterns on this card, as well as the design!

Rhonda said...

I think Emma is ready for art journaling. So sweet. Love your card too Meredith.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...