Wednesday, February 1, 2012

One Set Wednesday - Postmarks...

**ETA: Do you like how I forgot to copy and paste an entire chunk into my post? This has been a particularly forgetful week for me! Anyway, I've added the OSW details below now...

Hey guys! It's time for this week's One Set Wednesday post. Since I have a couple of new followers, I'll just quickly remind you what exactly I am talking about:

- I have numbered all of my stamp sets, and using the random number generator, assigned sets for the next few weeks - so no favouring on my part, and no chance of just picking the easy ones!

- I have excluded all sentiment sets, except for holiday ones - my sentiment sets see a *lot* of ink, and truly - they are too limiting.

- Using only the chosen set, I will create 3 all-occasion cards each week, and try my best to create one holiday card. The only exception to this rule will be when I need to do something that the day's set just can't do; creating frames around a die cut, for instance, or adding sentiments to a set that doesn't include any.

This week's set is Postmarks, from Papertrey Ink. It's a funny thing about this set. When it was being released, I fell in love, *instantly*. I knew I could create so many beautiful projects with it, and there were so many stamps. How could I resist? I loved the vintage appeal, I thought I had all kinds of ideas just swirling to put it to work.


But every time I pull this set out, it just eludes me. I think it's because I figure I have to do great things with it. After the projects I created for this week's post, I think I've learned to lean on this set for little accents here and there, when I need a little *something*.

In short, the challenge this week was hard.

So my first card. I just started stamping to see what kind of pattern would emerge, keeping a project that Betsy Veldman had created during the set's release at an arm's length, for inspiration.


If nothing else, I love the colours of that one. It's fun, it has the mail theme... but I am still not sure of it.

Saying that, I am least sure of my next project. I just started stamping, trying to create something that didn't look like it was created using a postage inspired stamp set.


Before I knew it, they said "birthday candles" to me. So I used a sentiment from Botanical Silhouettes to carry the theme through. Shirley likes this one, but I am still not so sure.

I thought this would be a fun set to put together a tiny little bundle of love. Maybe something to poke into my hubby's lunch bag.


I used the tiny envelope die to make my little package, then die cut some hearts to enclose.


I totally cheated and got out my Waltzingmouse "Sweethearts" set to stamp some love on to my little notes. I can hand write a message on the back to personalize them!

And, as you know, part of the challenge is to create a holiday themed card as well. Turns out, this is probably my favourite of the bunch!


There is a little snowflake included in the set (and you know me and snowflakes), so I knew I would use it to create some form of pattern. I started with the flourish that is included in the set, and took it from there. Here's a close-up:


Just lots of stamping and layering. I think it turned out pretty nice.

So that's Postmarks. I still love this set, but I don't think I could tackle whole cards focusing on it again. It was actually pretty overwhelming!

I hope to work on a few more projects this week to share with you, but I have been so busy this last couple of weeks, crafting has to take a backseat! Apparently the toilets don't care that I'd rather be stamping... sheesh!

Pin It

12 comments:

Lauren said...

I think you did an AMAZING job on all of the cards, especially since Postmarks is not an easy one to work with. I agree with you that's it's better geared toward accents rather than focal images. Anyway, they are all very well done!! Great job on a toughie!! :)

Angela Fehr said...

Every single card you posted here I LOVE. The first one is my favourite I think, but the candles on the birthday one - so clever! Love them all Meredith and I'm glad you gave yourself this challenge!

Joyce said...

These cards are amazing. Such great ideas. I also love postmarks, but seem to have a hard time using it. However, I used a bit of it in my card that I just posted today. Maybe it's something in the air. Good job keeping up with your challenge.

Ruth S said...

Great ideas for your cards Meredith! The colour scheme on the first is especially gorgeous - not what I would have expected at all so I was totally inspired by this... I always go for blue and red with this set (too predictable for words!) Rx

Karen C. said...

I love all the little images in Postmarks as well, but never attempted a card just using those elements. After seeing your cards, I think I'm going to have to try!! I love all of the layering and details that you've used. Even though you found it difficult, the results are amazing!!
P.S. The colourful candles are fabulous ,,, thanks for the inspiration.

Tracey McNeely said...

ll lovely creations Meredith!

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Wow...u have been busy! Is that the paper trey ink envelope?

carol (krillsister) said...

Love all the cards. You would never know that this stamp set was difficult for you. I couldn't even begin to pick a favorite.

Elena said...

it doesn't look like you had any trouble at all - you rocked it!

Deborah Frings said...

I think the cards you made with this set are super! I particularly like the first one - I like the postage theme! Your Christmas card is very vintage and looks fab!

Debbie Gaydos said...

These are just awesome! I NEEDED this inspiration. I think I have a similar problem with this set: I love it, and I can't bring myself to sell it, but I never seem to USE it. Maybe this is just the inspiration I need! :)

Kelly S. said...

Ummmm, now I want this set, Meredith! I LOVE LOVE your pink card and the awesome birthday card! I have had this set on my "maybe" list for quite a while, but those two may have pushed me over the edge! Make more! Make more! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...