Tuesday, January 10, 2012

One Set Wednesday - Sweethearts...

Happy Wednesday! I am back again with my new series, One Set Wednesday. I am so thrilled with the response to last week's post.. you are all so encouraging and sweet. And I am so excited that I inspired so many of you to try something similar! I have a few tips at the bottom of my post, so stay tuned.

If you haven't heard, I have started this new weekly series of posts called One Set Wednesday, to force myself to give my stamps the love the deserve. Here are the details:

- I have numbered all of my stamp sets, and using the random number generator, assigned sets for the next few weeks - so no favouring on my part, and no chance of just picking the easy ones!

- I have excluded all sentiment sets, except for holiday ones - my sentiment sets see a *lot* of ink, and truly - they are too limiting.

- Using only the chosen set, I will create 3 all-occasion cards each week, and try my best to create one holiday card. The only exception to this rule will be when I need to do something that the day's set just can't do; creating frames around a die cut, for instance, or adding sentiments to a set that doesn't include any.


Today's set is Sweethearts from Waltzingmouse Stamps.


The first one is my favourite, but not for the reasons you might think. I was working at this one, stamping away a pattern using the heart images from the set, and my 3 year old decided she wanted to make the same card. "Is that red ink you're using?"


When I checked on her a minute later, she'd pulled out her own shade of red, and was stamping away, putting hearts in the corner of her card. "Is this the same paper you use, mum?" Gosh, I love her.

So I created the background paper, then stamped the medallion in the center, all using Sweethearts. the only stamp I used that wasn't part of the set was the frame on my label.

Next, I pulled out my Crate Paper goodies - you know how I love 'em - and went to work on making a card with my daughter in mind. I like to create my kids cards just because. I have a stash growing... time to start writing in them!


I'll give bonus points to anyone who can figure out which daughter this is for. It's right on the card... *wink*

Pardon where my impression plate got away from my label there...

Next, I had this idea floating around for awhile, and put it into practice to create an anniversary card for my hubby.


I saw so many people use the heart trick to create all kinds of shamrocks during St. Patrick's Day last year - I thought it was the neatest thing! So, I combined a sentiment from "Luck of the Irish" from PTI to carry the theme through. I think it turned out pretty neat!

Last, a holiday card... Shirley gave me the idea for this one. Again with all the ideas, that woman! It really gets to my competitive side... *wink*


Hearts-turned-Christmas tree! Kind of fun, right?

Okay, so now I challenge you to take this on! It's great to stretch your creative muscles, and your sets will see the love they deserve! Find a random way to choose a set to work with (I numbered all mine and used the random.org number generator), and go from there.

Here are the 'rules':

1) You can only use a second set if there is no other way for you to achieve the look you're trying for with the first set, or patterned paper, embellishments, etc.

2) You must make at least 3 all-occasion cards using the set.

3) As an added challenge, create a holiday card using the chosen set!

4) Link me up in my comments section so I can see!!

Here are some tips that have helped me get my mojo flowing... When I am watching TV at night, I open up the week's set from the manufacturers website, so I can see all the images available to me - there's always a flourish or sentiment that I forget! Then, I get out my sketchbook, and draw out exactly what I want to do in terms of creating patterns, sentiment combinations, etc. By doing this, I spend all my "thinking" time at home when I am not able to craft, and when it's time to sit at my desk, I can get the cards out quickly, since I already know what I want to do. I also make a point to choose materials that I love (Crate Paper products always inspire me to no end, for instance), and if I can work it to use a sketch or colour challenge, it also helps me to get lots planned.

I would *love* it if you played along... you all told me how much you needed to do this, so what are you waiting for? *wink*


Pin It

11 comments:

Cherry's Jubilee said...

Ok...i might just play along with this....one of my goals is to just plain USE my stamps more. your cards...are gorgeous...I love that first one. Your daughter is adorable. cherry

Claire Brennan said...

Meredith this is a terrific idea and a really gorgeous bunch of cards!!! Such creativity so early in January woman!! I'm still coming out of the Christmas fog!! you are a star!!

Barbara said...

Hi Meredith, What a super idea!! I just may take your challenge. Great way to use all our treasured stamps. I adore your cards. Each one is different and so creative. Love your crafting style. I am now a follower of your blog. Would love for you to visit my blog, if you have a minute.
u-inspire-me.blogspot.com Have a wonderful day.

Deborah Frings said...

Meredith - you're really on a roll with this project! Your romantic Valentine is just lovely! Love the heart Christmas tree too! I think I'm going to have to have a go at this.

Leigh said...

My little girl is the same way! Sometimes, I'll tell her to not look at what I'm doing (or not show me, so I don't give too many suggestions), so she can be creative on her own...
The second card you made is for Emma (I LOVE that Crate pp!)
Great job with your challenge, Meredith-- especially the Christmas card-- very creative!

carol (krillsister) said...

For a second week in a row, you hit the nail on the head. What an amzing job. Love all the cards. clever idea to make the tree from inverted hearts. Love the first card with the medallion of hearts.
I agree with your tip about designing when you are not in your caft room. I do it all the time at work (hehe).

Joyce said...

What a great idea. You are so creative. I love all your cards, and how you take a different look at your supplies.

Donna C. said...

Love them!

mylittlepaperaddiction said...

Such a great challenge! You came up with such different ways to use the same set and they all look great!

Geri said...

gee wiz...didn't know I was this far behind!! These are all so sweet!!

Helen said...

Oh my goodness - what a great idea&your cards look amazing !!! So creative...I really like the 4leaf clover made from hearts - sweet sentiment too x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...