Thursday, January 19, 2012

Love You Forever...

Well, the heart themed projects are in full swing, aren't they? I love it. There is just something about all the red and pink that helps lift us out of the post-Christmas slump, and what a beautiful thing to celebrate: Love.

Wanna know a secret?

I used to *hate* Valentine's Day. I'll spare you the details, but the short of it is that in high school... oh high school... I was always the third wheel. Always. And on Valentine's Day, our school would sell roses to be delivered to the classrooms, from your secret - or maybe not so secret - admirer. And every year I would just hope and hope that someone would think of me. And every year I was disappointed. So for me, the day just became a reminder of what I wished I had, but very obviously did not.

In fact, I was 20 before I got my first true Valentine.

So I married him!


And then I had babies. Oh, is there any better definition of love than to be a mother? When my oldest was born, I said to my hubby, "I have never loved anything the way I love her." I was completely, utterly, overhwelmingly, wholly consumed by her.

Now *that's* a Valentine.


I read once that becoming a mother is like wearing your heart on the outside of your body. And it *is*. I couldn't imagine loving another soul as much as I loved this tiny little person.

And then I gave birth to her sister. Turns out I was wrong.

Now I adore Valentine's Day. I embrace fully the opportunity to shower my family in treats, affection and presents.


I wish I could go back in time and tell that girl that it will work out in the end. All those empty Valentine's Days are building up to the perfect ending. But that's adolescence, right?

How lucky I am to have *three* Valentines.

(PS.. don't forget my Giveaway!)

Pin It

9 comments:

Geri said...

I sooooo, relate to this post, Meredith...the before AND the after! What a sweet yet simple card! So glad you shared!

Dawn said...

Oh Meredith, I just LOVE everything about this post! So true. TFS

Leah said...

I am right there with you on why I also use to hate Valentine's Day. Such a heartbreaking time in life...but you are so right about the very happy ending! In fact, it makes me a little sad that most of the girls that I was friends with that always got the Valentine presents in school now have very lonely or unhappy lives.

Beautiful card! Love that set:)

Leigh said...

I loved reading your post, Meredith! I can totally relate... when I had my first son, I looked at him and felt my heart get all warm and swell. I thought: "This is what it means to love someone!" And yep, I experienced it again and again with my second son and daughter. You just expressed a mother's love so well!
And, of course, your card is beautiful!

Debbie Gaydos said...

Awww, what a sweet reflection about V-day! And the card, oh my.... BEAUTIFUL! Makes me want to get out Mendhi Medallion.. I've played with it a bit but not really had much luck getting anything to come together with it. This may inspire me to try again! :)

carol (krillsister) said...

Awesome post. Love how you expressed your feelings about your children. It even gets better...
grandchildren!!!!


Love the card too!

Pauline said...

Beautiful card Meredith, and beautiful post too x

Ruth S said...

Wowser - another stunning card. I love the colour pops in the design... it's a fun loving Valentine, alright ;)
You have totally been on a creative roll - I can barely find time to create anything lately, let alone something so beautiful, and I see I've been missing out on blog inspiration too over these past days ;) Rx

Amanda said...

What a beautiful card and post. Valentine's day has a whole new life now that have 2 little girls. My 4 year old calls it Love Day, which I think is so appropriate. I am loving your blog and find my self visiting more and more often.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...