Monday, September 12, 2011

Ice Cream Sundae Cupcakes

You might remember that my hubby's birthday was at the end of August, and I had a BBQ party for him. I chose the colours red and yellow, and went from there. He gave me some input, but he told me he wanted his cake/cupcakes to be a surprise.


I had seen a post awhile back about how to make Ice Cream Sundae cupcakes. I *loved* them, and put them into the idea box for later... and I thought this was the perfect occasion to try them!

***Disclaimer*** I took the pics of this cupcake 2 days after I served them... in the heat, my 'ice cream' had softened a bit, and the butter had sweated a bit, causing the icing to deepen in it's creamy colour. In short - when you first make these, the ice cream is far more realistic looking!

I chose to use mini-cupcakes, because my vintage cups were fairly small, but I think in the end a medium sized liner would have worked perfectly.


How cute is that?! As I mentioned, the ice cream doesn't look *as* realistic here as it did at first, but this party was 2 days before my surgery, and I had so many other things to do, I forgot to photograph these! So I finally did take them as we were flying out the door to the hospital!!

Here is a close up of those adorable vintage cups, which I found on Etsy (and made every one of my guests treat with extra care so I can use them again!)


Here's how I made 'em!

First, I started by making my icing (or frosting), so I would have time to chill it... I adapted the recipe I found on Living Locurto, since I was making mini cupcakes and did not need nearly the amount called for regular sized cakes.


Ice Cream Icing (adapted from livinglocurto.com)
  • 3/4C butter, softened
  • 2 - 3 cups icing sugar (confectioner's sugar to you in the US!)
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 - 2 Tablespoons milk
  1. In the bowl of a mixer, beat butter until creamy. Add 1tbsp of milk, and with the mixer on low, slowly add the icing sugar. Increase speed to medium and beat for a minute or two, until fully combined and fluffy. Add more milk if needed. Icing should look like an extra fluffy buttercream. Place icing in the refrigerator for an hour to chill.

You could add food colouring to your icing as well, if you wanted a 'flavoured' ice cream!

I baked some mini cupcakes using my favourite Devil's Food cake mix. I have grand ideas to start making cakes from scratch, but mixes really are just so easy...

After the cakes cool - and if they're mini, this is done in no time - place one in each of your ice cream cups.

**You can find ice cream cups fairly easily online, and I hear sometimes you can find them at Michael's too!**

Using a cookie scoop, scoop your icing on top of each cupcake. This method proves to be very realistic looking, however a spoon would work fine as well!

Melt some chocolate wafers in a double boiler, being extra careful not to burn them - this can happen in a split second, so watch closely!

I poured my chocolate into a Wilton candy sqeeze bottle, so it would look like I squeezed my chocolate sauce out of a bottle. Because of the little bit of extra time it took to get my chocolate into the bottle, it was the perfect consistency to keep it's shape once I squeezed it onto my ice cream.

I added a red ball candy (bought in bulk at my cake supply store!) and some yellow and red sprinkles to match my party theme, and they were all done.

Oh, and if you're all technical and everything, the yellow ones were Jimmies and the red ones are called Nonpareils.

Have fun!!
Photobucket

Pin It

2 comments:

Angela Fehr said...

Super cute! I love those vintage cups!

FunnyBooBoo said...

Wait, shouldn't this be on your other blog as well? I've wanted to try banana split cupcakes from this website: http://annies-eats.net/2011/03/11/banana-split-cupcakes/ but I can't manage to find the time. So instead I drool over the pics.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...