Saturday, August 13, 2011

Live the Sweet Life...

Good morning!

I can't believe we're already nearly half way through August... I keep reading through all of the blogs I've been visiting that so many of you are sick of the heat and ready for fall - and we are still experiencing below seasonal temperatures here on the west coast of BC. We won't see the usual high temperatures that we are used to in the summer, that's certain. Our fans are still in storage from last year, and it's looking like they'll stay there. I believe I'll be ready to escape to somwhere tropical by October this year!


A friend of my mother-in-law's, who we see every Friday morning for coffee, and who my girls adore, recently moved out of her house of 30+ years and into a new condo to enjoy the retired life. I knew I wanted to give her something she could hang up, and as it turned out, I had 40 minutes to throw something together - we were invited somewhat last minute to go and see her new place.


Forgive the poor photo - I had to take it once I had gifted it, so I was balancing on one knee trying to balance my camera!

I knew that one of the walls in her new place had been painted red, so I used the Cherries and Peaches set from Flourishes, and coloured up the large bunch of cherries with my Copics. I find that a really good reference when colouring, even images I am familiar with, is Google Images! It just sort of guides me in making realistic colour choices, and when I am selecting how to highlight (how shiny the fruit might be). More than anything, it helps me when I am shading the greenery - I know what a 2lb tub of cherries looks like when I am ready to eat them, but I am less familiar with what the tree it came off of looks like!

I paired my cherries with some of the Stella and Rose papers from My Mind's Eye, which I think set the colours off beautifully, and I sanded them a bit to add some distressing.

Not bad for 40 minutes, I thought!
Photobucket
  Photobucket
Paper: My Mind's Eye Stella and Rose; PTI Stamper's Select White
Stamps: Flourishes Cherries and Peaches; Papertrey Ink Tea for Two
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; SU! Real Red; VersaFine Onyx
Other: 6x6 Canvas from the dollar store; PTI Tea for Two Die; Copic Markers

Pin It

1 comment:

Angela Fehr said...

Love this! The colouring alone would take me an hour so I can't believe you whipped it up in 40 min.!
And I love those papers - that wood grain paper is my favourite paper this year.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...