Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Thank You...

A crafty post!!

I know, I'm surprised too.

I spent the day today in the craft room, since Summer seems to be on hiatus this week. I was psyched to make some cards, but it actually took a bit to find my groove.


I bought a bunch of Flourishes stamp sets awhile ago, but haven't really managed to pay them  much attention, because of all the custom orders I have been working on. I decided to make a card for a couple of Flourishes' challenges to get started with them.

If you've been here before, you know that I *love* cherries (I love to eat them too!), and you know that anything cherry reminds me of my oldest daughter.

I have decided that I want to celebrate my upcoming 30th birthday by doing something that I was inspired by Nichole Heady to do. She celebrated this milestone by thanking 30 of the people who have been influential in her life, and helped to make her who she is. I *loved* this idea, and decided to shamelessly copy and steal (CASE?!) it!

My daughters have drastically influenced the person I am today (of course), so it was only fitting that I give them each a card to tell them why I am so thankful to have them in my life. I'll expand on that at the end of this post. In the meantime, here is Emma's card:


Don't you kind of want to eat one of those?

I created this for the Bring Beautiful Back challenge to make a summer themed card (um, summer = cherries!), as well as the Farm Fresh Challenge. I also used this technique to give my cherries some dimension.

This photo show the detail on the cherries...


My first daughter, as I am sure every parent would say, changed me completely.

If I really tried to explain the entire story, you'd be here for days. But I'll try to condense to the most important points.

I am a 'yes' person, to a fault. I want to please everyone, do everything, and have everything perfect, all the time. I never realized how much I would let people take advantage of me, or how much I would put up with from different people... or the toll that would take on me.

Then this beautiful, innocent, helpless little person came into my life, and suddenly it was so *so* obvious who did not deserve my time. As with any life changing decisions, there was drama involved, some of which still haunts me nearly 3 years later.

But I don't know how to properly express to you how grateful I am that this wonderful child showed me what was important in life. Who my true friends and family were. She showed me how blessed we are (and I am not a religious person - so to use that word is huge) with the people surrounding and supporting us.

In short, she showed me that family is where you make it, and that the only people who deserve your time and energy are the same people that would return the favour without hesitation or expectation. Love has a competely different face than that I had previously accepted.

I know I am a better person because of her, and she teaches me something about myself every single day. She forces me to be the best person I can, and I am so thankful to her for the lessons she has brought me.

Don't even get me started on her little sister....! That's another card, in another post, on another day...

I have a few more projects to share over the next week or so, so stick with me!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Paper: Making Memories Je T'Adore
Stamps: Flourishes Cherries and Peaches; Papertrey Ink Tiny Tags
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black; Stampin' Up Real Red
Other: PTI Tiny Tags Die; Copic Markers; button and ribbon embellishment from Wal Mart

Pin It

10 comments:

Dina K. said...

Great job with the technique! I'm so glad you shared the link!

Stacy aka Twinshappy said...

Yummy, great looking cherries and I like the ribbon flower you made. Glad you got some stamping time in. Thanks for playing in Flourishes Farm Fresh Challenge.

Pauline said...

Beautiful card, this cherries look scrumptious! Superb colouring and dimension, a real beauty!

ChristineCreations said...

Absolutely gorgeous coloring Meredith! And then the beautiful dimension on top of that makes for one stunning card! Thanks for playing in the Pre-Release Challenge at Flourishes! And a lovely story about your daughter and how she changed your life too!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

So pretty Meredith! Those cherries look scrumptious! Thanks for playing along with the BBB challenge :)

Leslie Miller said...

Oh, my goodness, this is marvelous! Your cherries look absolutely real, and I love your adorable polka dot ribbon treatment. Thank you for sharing your story, also. You are wise to recognize the important things in life while you're still young.

Barbara said...

Those cherries look good enough to eat! And the dimension you achieved is awesome! Gorgeous card! Thanks for joining us for Flourishes' Farm Fresh Challenge.

KathyJ (Wattle) said...

I just love your card - the colouring, the dimension of the cherries and that darling rosette, all make for a gorgeous creation!! Thanks so much for playing the BBB challenge!!!

Laura Fredrickson said...

Beautifully done...love the dimension and your story is so touching!

Heather Jensen said...

WOW Meredith! This is stunning! I love the dimension you added by popping up the cherries. Thanks so much for playing at Flourishes BBB. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...