Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Blog Birthday... Day 2

***Edited to Add: Ack! I messed up the time on today's linky tool! No worries, you can link up your project for today's challenge until Sunday... please don't be discouraged from playing!***

Welcome back to my blog birthday celebration!



As you may have read, I am doing things a little differently this week. If you missed it, you can read up on the details here. But I do encourage you to play along... what's up for grabs? Well... I will pick one winner from each day's projects to award a badge for your blog. At the end of the week, one lucky random winner will be chosen to win... 

One free stamp set of your choice from Waltzingmouse Stamps!!

To be eligible for this great prize, just follow the rules are at the bottom of this post!

Today's Challenge:

{Sketch Challenge}

Here is the sketch for today's challenge:



Today's inspiration is someone I discovered shortly before the holidays, and who has inspired me both in my paper crafting endeavors, but also in my outlook about life in general. I've never met her, but I have been touched by the size of her heart just by reading her beautiful posts each week. 

Can you guess who it is?

Melissa Phillips is the epitome of shabby chic... her creations are incredible; they're soft, they're girly, they're vintage, they're shabby, they're sweet... they're everything I love. I also love how she creates more than just cards... truly, they're works of art. 

The main thing I have learned from Melissa in terms of paper crafts... More is More. She fits every bit and bob, charm and doohicky she can onto her creations. She puts a lot of effort in finishing her projects, right down to the package it comes in.



I started out with the sketch, and I created some soft patterned paper using Guide Lines Two - can not get enough of this set - using colours that reminded me of Melissa. I then added all kinds of layers, lace, notions and love until I felt I could truly fit no more. But I couldn't stop there.



I created a pouch for my card, rather than a plain ol' envelope. I used a brown paper lunch bag, zipped it through my machine, and decorated the front. I am hoping to use the pouch of the bag itself to include some form of small gift (very likely a photo of my girls), as I made this for my wonderful mother in law. I know she will just adore it, as she also can't help but get sucked in whenever she catches me at Melissa's blog.

Another way that Melissa has inspired me is her outlook and attitude towards life. Her love for her daughter is how we all feel towards our children, but she has such a way of capturing the passion and adoration she feels towards her little one with such eloquence. I love the way that she reflects on life, so often emulating gratitude for the simple things that so many of us could take for granted. She has taught me to take a step back and enjoy the now, love the beauty that is around me, and be grateful for the little things.

Now it's your turn! Show me your best project using the sketch above by uploading to a gallery or your blog, and linking it below. You don't have to refer to Melissa's style, you just have to follow the Sketch Challenge. You have until Sunday, March 6th at Midnight (Pacific) to link up your project to be eligible to win the grand prize! Please be sure to mention in your post which challenge you are creating your project for, so I know where to look!

RULES:
You must be a follower of my blog to qualify for the grand prize, but anyone can play along!
All entries are eligible for a daily prize - a badge for your blog!
All entries must be linked no later than midnight (Pacific) on Sunday, March 6th, 2011
Projects must be linked to the appropriate challenge, on the corresponding blog post.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Paper: PaperZone PZ Facets pink, PTI Kraft, Blue from stash, white from stash
Stamps: PTI Guide Lines 2, Mat Stack 2 Collection and Mega Mixed Messages
Ink: Stampin' Up River Rock, Pretty in Pink, 
Other: Papertrey Ink Mat Stack 2 and Limitless Layers Die Cuts, Hug Snug Seam Binding coloured with Copics, cotton lace and buttons from stash

Pin It

6 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my....you've got me all teary and I don't feel deserving of your sweet words...what a thoughtful gesture. Thank you for your kindness...you've touched my heart. Your card is just as beautiful and sweet as can be.
Thank you!
Melis

Joan B said...

gorgeous card

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Beautiful card Meredith! Love all the shabby details!

Pauline said...

This is beautiful meredith! Love all the special details, and the stitching, and your stamping is wonderful! I am going to have a little play today ;-)

Stella said...

Meredith this is breathtaking; filled to the brim with all kind of stunning and gorgeous details; love it!

Sharon said...

Happy blog anniversary, Meredith! Your work is outstanding and so inspirational.

I will do my best to take part in more challenges. Hopefully, my back ache will ease so that I can participate. :D

Thanks so much. x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...