Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Tree...

Can you believe it's Christmas Eve tomorrow? And I am supposed to be finishing up the last of my projects, but instead I am procrastinating by blogging...... don't tell my husband!


I thought I would share my beloved tree with you today. As you may recall, I mentioned way back when that I follow a pretty strict colour theme in my decorating. The main part of our house is a red and white theme, heavy on the snowflakes (I told you yesterday, I am OBSESSED!). Part of the house, however, is a light blue and white/silver theme - also heavy on the snowflakes. These decorations all came from our wedding day nearly 5 years ago! You can see why I love them so...




You can see a few packages there... after Santa has been, I will share with you just how anal I am, and how I make all my presents match the colour theme...


About that... the red and white. It has been a long-standing joke between hubby and me that his ornaments don't go on 'my' tree. That's right, MY tree. Every member of our family has their own tree. The girls each have one in their rooms, and hubby has his own tree in our tv room. His tree is full of all the things I detest (but can completely appreciate) - tinsel garland, multicoloured lights, and ornaments that he made as a child. That's right, his tree is full of memories and nostalgia. Finally, last year, I shared my tree in better detail with my mother in law, so that she could see that in fact, while mine follows a theme (ocd, okay?!), I have lots of memories and meaning behind my ornaments!


Like this one:

And also this one:

I might have only paid a dollar each for these ornaments... but they are my daughters' initials!

How about this one:

Which goes with this one:

These are from the first trip I took with my hubs and his family to one of my favourite places on earth - before we were even married!

Here's a neat story:

I used to spend a lot - and by that I mean a LOT - of time on the forums over at The Nest when I was first married. One year, I organized an ornament swap between us regulars. I told my 'buddy' that I loved red and white with a snowflake theme, and she sent me these gorgeous tin snowflakes! She also sent a couple of word ornaments, reading "Joy" and "Jingle all the Way", which started an obsession with ornaments that you can read:


Again, I only paid a dollar for that baby, but I just love what it adds to my tree! I am building up quite the collection of phrases for this tree.

Here is a neat one:

The one on the left is the kind of glitter that discolours over time. It was silver when I bought it about 4 years ago, and every year when I pull it out, it has tarnished just a bit more. I love it! The reindeer to the right is from a dollar store! I have quite a mix on my tree - some that are very expensive and hard to come by, nestled right next to ones that caught my magpie eye at the Dollarama!


See the Laura Ashley enamel ball? It's not red and white, but it's a dear one, so it gets prime real estate every year. This snowflake has to be one of my all-time favourites! And another little Mickey there... 

Dear Santa:
I know you are done your shopping this year, but I was hoping that maybe next year, you might add a DSLR camera to my list, so my poor blog readers don't have to suffer through any more of these terrible, out of focus, amateur photos...

Merry Christmas to all my lovely followers! I hope Santa is good to you!


Pin It

2 comments:

Mona L. Pendleton said...

WOW Meredith! What a beautiful Christmas tree! All your decorations look wonderful! Hope you enjoy Christmas morning with your little ones :) Merry Christmas :)

Sue Lelli said...

I LOVE YOUR red and white tree and I truly understand! My husband and son have their own tree that all of the "other" ornaments go on! LOL!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...