Saturday, December 11, 2010

Gingerbread Houses... Paper Style!

I found a template months and months ago on SCS for this adorable little birdhouse... I knew right away I wanted to use it to make little gingerbread houses for Christmas!


**Disclaimer**
Only once I really studied my photos did I realize I did as good a job glueing as my 2 year old did on her Christmas crafts this year (literally!), so for the sloppiness, I DO apologize... I am normally MUCH more anal!


So, I set to work, and here is how they turned out!




I used some dark cream cardstock, then went to work with Vintage Photo distress ink to make it appear as though it were actually baked gingerbread. Then I folded the whole thing together.


I used some cording that was actually wired (making things much easier) for my "icing" seams.


I also used it to create my door.


Those little candy canes were found in the mini-ornament aisle at Michael's... how great the work!


I used a button with some metallic raffia tied behind it to create a little candy to hang above the door.


I used images from Oven Fresh Gingerbread Joy from Waltzingmouse Stamps to create my little cookie, and the heart on the door. I dressed these up with my 2 year old's glitter glue (who are we kidding, it's practically stickles!), and also "iced" my side windows with it - unfortunately as it dried, it flattened itself out, so it turned out looking like I actually LET said 2 year old do the work...!


I used an MS border punch to create the layers for my roof with brown cardstock, before I ran them over my white ink pad to add some 'snow'. 




I think they turned out super cute, but if I did it again, I would use a glue gun - I thought using the red glitter glue would look better if any of it showed, but I think I was wrong - it just looks messy! And I think an idea would actually be fabric paint for my 'icing' details - since it will hold it's shape better. I swear the windows looked great when I first did them! haha...


Anyway, I made 4 of these little guys to give to some friends I meet with for coffee each week - I know they'll appreciate the thought, even if they aren't so perfect!

Pin It

3 comments:

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Honestly, this gingerbread home is Adorable! I love the 'peppermint' stick edging on it and your roof is so cute! Your friends will really like this.

Jody said...

They are homemade Meredith, they are not supposed to be perfect. I think they look great! Good Job!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Super cute Gingerbread house Meredith! Love all the detail! Those candy canes are darling! Looks perfect just the way it is - homemade with alot of love :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...