Thursday, November 25, 2010

Something a Little Different...

Well, I've been a little MIA in the past week! It's been hectic, what with the shopping season upon us. And I finally broke down and put up the Christmas tree! I used to be able to do all my decorating in a day, but now, as my collection grows, it takes awhile. I am still in the midst, but there's an end in sight!


But, here I am to share a project with you...


When I was pregnant with my first, I became good friends with a woman I was working with at the time. We have stayed in touch, and the store where we worked used to be my source for frames that were perfect for altering. She was always curious as to what exactly I was doing, and told me I'd better make one for her with my lovely daughter's picture.


Of course, life got in the way, and here we are 2 and some years later!


I finally created a frame for her, but the best part about waiting was that I could include both beauties:




Are those not the most precious little faces?


Oh right, the project.


Well, I ended up buying this frame at Michael's, because the other store stopped carrying them. It is a shadow frame, which allows me to put embellishments on the matte, and not worry about infringing on the glass.


I start all my frames by tracing the matte onto whatever paper I choose - in this case it was from the Ever After line by Cosmo Cricket. Then I cut it out with my craft knife as close to the edge as I can, keeping in mind that the cutout for the photo is beveled. Then I sand that edge with a file to help it blend better. This is the time to do any stamping or ink work you want to do on the base.


For this particular frame, I just added some brown grosgrain ribbon along the base of the photo, and threaded it through my sentiment frame. The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink's Baby Button Bits. The flourish behind it is from Waltzingmouse's Vintage Labels 10. I added some cotton lace under the ribbon for a little interest. I also added some rhinestones to the sentiment, and some brown pearls to the matte above the photo to balance everything out.


The photo is not the best, because it is a very shiny silver frame, but you get the idea!


So I've been absent lately, but I have been carding away... I have nearly 20 cards that I completed this past couple of days, so there is lots to see in the coming days!


Pin It

1 comment:

Dana said...

Can't wait to see your upcoming cards, Meredith! Haven't put my tree up, though...
FYI: I have blog candy up here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...