Friday, October 29, 2010

Welcome to the Good Witch's House...

I am back with only a couple of days left until trick or treating!

Today I am going to show you the way I have decorated my mantle for Halloween. I have decorated throughout the main part of our house, but this would be a never ending post if I shared everything!


As you can see, everything is dark and spooky. What you can't see is that there is also a lot of glitter going on - when I am choosing things for the indoor decor, I usually go with "The Good Witch's House". She is good, so it's not overly scary, but she is still a witch, so it is kind of dark!

You can't totally tell - the light quality in our house is just not there, so these aren't the best pics - but there is a sparkly skull on the right of the mantle, which goes with a sparkly skull that is in the flower arrangement to the left. Like every woman, the good witch likes a good bouquet - but hers are black roses, not red!

What kind of witch doesn't have potions? Here is a close-up:
Bat droppings are a great snack - these ones taste suspiciously like chocolate covered raisins! No collection is complete without actual Witch's Brew, and in the back there is a jar of Partially Decomposed Fingers...  take a look:
I got those fingers at the dollar store, can you believe it? They're actually quite realistic - check out those fingernails!

And finally, an essential bottle of Vampire Blood. You can see this is a well-used ingredient in the witch's pantry! The thing with Vampire Blood is that it's a great sweetener - you can use it anywhere you might want to use Corn Syrup - the only difference is the colour!

So here are some of the details. All of the stamps I used for these labels are from Waltzingmouse Stamps. They are in a fantastic set called Wanda's Pantry, and I have barely made a dent in all the great stamps in this set. I actually had lots of other ideas, but couldn't gather enough bottles, let alone time, to carry it all out! I stamped everything in Walnut Stain distress ink, and then aged my labels with the same - I wanted to keep them realistic, so I kept them simple. With my Vampire blood, I copied Claire (Waltzingmouse), and added some bloody fingerprints to my label. Perfectly creepy.

Everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING on this mantle either came from the dollar store, or was recycled, with only one exception: there is a little glass couldron with a black votive candle that is from Partylite, and was gifted to me from a client years ago. Now, the awesome moon hanging on the wall was a steal from HomeSense at $10!

Something that you can't see, and unfortunately I deleted the picture by mistake - but am not at home to replace it - is that those candles are dripping blood! The candles are black, but I took the idea from Martha Stewart, and dripped a red candle over them so that it appears that as the candle is burning, it's dripping blood! I'll try to post a picture of that before the weekend is out!

Only a couple of days left, so only a couple more things to share with you! I hope tomorrow to share our pumpkins with you, but we'll see if children cooperate...

Pin It

2 comments:

Jody said...

Very cool decorations, can't wait to see what's coming next!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Happy Halloween Meredith! What fun decorations on you mantle! I hope you have a great day :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...