Monday, October 25, 2010

Sweet Sweet Halloween...

Welcome to Day 1 of my countdown week to Halloween!

Today I am sharing with you something that is not paper crafted in any way!


Cookies!

I am really getting into making iced cookies for all kinds of fun occasions. As you can see, I still need to improve quite a bit, but it's fun trying to learn!

I use a recipe that a friend of my mother-in-law makes every year at Christmas - she knows now that she can't see my kids during the season unless she has cookies on offer! She finally just gave me the recipe, and it's one of the easiest sugar cookies you could ever make - I'll include it for you at the end of this post!

There are three scary shapes for my cookies, all perfect for haunting my friends and family!

A ghost, a bat and a jack-o-lantern!

Now, these take a bit of patience when it comes to icing - I have to make 2 consistencies of each colour, so in total for this project I had six bowls of icing on the go! I always use Wilton's food colour paste, because it gives such rich, deep colours without watering down your icing. You can easily find these down the cake aisle at Michael's, and even Wal Mart carries a few colours!

Here is a close up of the ghost:

I start out by using a thinner consistency icing and a larger tip to fill in the basic shape of my cookie. Once that dries a bit, I go back with a thicker icing, using a smaller tip and detail the edges - this poor little fellow got a bit smushed on the plate before I could photograph him!

Here is the pumpkin:

You can see that my black icing ran a little bit - I think I did the faces a little bit too soon. I detailed the ridges of the pumpkin at the same time I outlined the cookie. After this dried, I went back with my black icing.

Finally, my bat:


I did 2 shades of black for this guy, one of which actually looks a bit purple just with how the colouring is pigmented... but I think it works! I added little white eyes to the bats at the same time I was outlining my ghosts.

I just use a basic icing recipe: butter, icing sugar (confectioner's sugar if you're in the States) and milk - but I don't measure... so I can't help you there! I just use a bit more sugar to make my stiffer icing, and whisk until it seems the right consistency. I am a cook, not a baker - because I never follow recipes!

That's the beauty of this recipe, however! You don't have to be super precise and anal, and it still turns out beautiful and delicious! Perfect for a non-baker like myself. Try them out for yourself!


Easiest Sugar Cookies
3/4 Cup Soft Margarine or Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 Eggs
2.5 Cups Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt


Preheat your oven to 350°F. Add all ingredients to large mixing bowl. Beat together until blended and dough forms (make sure to scrape the sides of your bowl). Flour your surface and rolling pink. Form dough into a ball, making sure to flour your hands first. Roll out until dough is about 1/4" thick. Cut out your shapes, and arrange on your cookie sheet. Bake for 6 minutes, or until edges are just turning golden. Cookies will still be soft. Let cool on racks, then ice and decorate as you like!


The best part of this recipe is the fact that you don't have to worry about any cooling time before you can cut out your shapes. With two tiny people, I don't always have a lot of time to devote to these kinds of projects, so any time saved is precious! A warning - these cookies are HIGHLY addictive! Enjoy!


Pin It

1 comment:

Deb said...

These cookies look sooo yummy!! I am going to have to make some very soon!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...