Saturday, October 2, 2010

It's Beginning...

... just subtly, but it is definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas! All the Scrapbooking and Card companies; manufacturers, stores, websites - they are all in the swing of the season already. Stamp companies are well into their Christmas releases... The stores are beginning to stock their shelves, and at the end of this month, when Halloween comes to a close, we shall be bombarded by the most wonderful time of the year!

So here's what you should know about me this time of year.

I LOVE Christmas. I said to a friend just recently; the whole year is really just a countdown. I am constantly looking forward to everything that comes with my favourite holiday... the family, the get-togethers, the baking, the decorating, the presents... THE PRESENTS. I loooooove presents. I love to give as much as I love to get. I am still like a kid every Christmas eve, hardly able to sleep as I am filled with anticipation and excitement for the gifts the next day. Now that I have my children, I love the season even more. Taking my girls to see Santa, planning traditions to start with them, spoiling them with stockings and goodies... I can't get enough of it!

You can see my lovely daughter modelling the goods that Santa left in her stocking last year:


And here she is all dressed up and showing off the new tricycle her grandmother ("Gabga") gave her:


And what ensemble is complete without a beautiful, fur trimmed coat in the colour of the season? Can you believe we paid FIVE dollars for this gorgeous coat?!

I LOVE snowflakes. My wedding had a snowflake theme, and if I wasn't obsessed with them prior to that, I certainly am since. Most of my decor has a snowflake theme to it, and when I see something that is snowflakes and falls into a colour theme that goes with my own, I pretty much have to have it.

Which brings me to colours: my house decor all coordinates - I have colour themes, and I stick to them. The main colours are red and white, so our formal tree follows this theme, as do my living room and dining room centerpieces, garlands, etc... We have a separate eating area in our kitchen, which has a white/silver and baby blue theme. This happens to be the same colour theme as our wedding, which means that I use a lot of the decorations from that day - I love it, we get to re-live such a wonderful day every year!

The living room with the coffee table centerpiece:

Here is the dining room decor, complete with tree:

Here is what we had as our Kitchen centerpiece last year... the table runner was on our cake table at our wedding:


And this is in our powder room off the kitchen; these snowflakes were from our wedding as well:

I bring up colours, because you'll see a lot of red and white projects from me, I think. I wrap all our gifts to coordinate with the tree (yes, I really am that anal), so they are all red and white. I also decided 2 seasons ago that I was done with paper wrapping. It's so much work to wrap everything (cutting, folding, taping, etc...), and unbelievably wasteful. You can't recycle wrapping paper because of whatever coating is used on it, so bags and bags of it are thrown into landfills every year. A very dear friend of mine has always used Christmas fabric and wired ribbon to wrap her gifts, so I was inspired. Last year I used wine bags, boxes I found at the dollar store, cookie tins, as well as fabric to wrap everything. And I loved it - it looked amazing, it was easy, it took far less time... everything I hoped for.

In this picture, you can see our tree, with all my gifts in front of it. The ones that don't match are ones my dad brought - I guess he didn't get the memo ;)

I tell you all this as a bit of a warning... you will see many snowflake themed projects done with red and white as the colour theme... you may remember my Spellbinders project?

We have a total of 5, yes FIVE, trees in our house. Here is a picture of the one I put in our TV room (yes, we are Canucks fans!), which is filled with our childhood ornaments. I call this DH's tree, since this is his idea of the perfectly decorated tree, and it's in the room I decorated for him as a surprise when he went to Australia a few years ago!


When I was growing up, our nightlights were swapped out for small trees in our bedrooms during the holidays. I have put one in my daughter's room, following this tradition, and this year my baby girl will have her own for her very first Christmas (you were wondering why I was singling my oldest out, right?). Emma (the older one) has many ornaments on her tree already, all of which have significance to her. I plan to start the same tradition for baby Josie this year.

So that's a little about me and my obsession for Christmas... stay tuned, I have a long list of holiday projects to complete, and plan to share them with you as I do!

Pin It

2 comments:

Mona L. Pendleton said...

WOW Meredith! Love all your holiday photos especially your sweet lil' girl in her Christmas dress & coat! So precious!

Danielle said...

I love this post! I just mentioned on my blog how I hate people who complain about stores 'rushing the holidays' by putting Christmas things out in October. I love it! I was so excited when I was in target and saw all the Christmas lights out :o) I so look forward to the Holidays as well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...