Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Beware! There is Mischief Afoot...

This is my second post for today! Scroll down to find my card for this week's Embellish Magazine challenge!


It took me a second, but almost right away when I was figuring out how to use this week's Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge, I knew I wanted to make a wall hanging.
I wanted to make something for this week's challenge at the Shabby Tea Room, which was to create something "Vintage Halloween". My bathroom is looking a little less than spooky - it's lacking something, and I figured that it was up to me to fix that, since I haven't seen anything in the stores that I like enough!

I started with an orange base, which I stamped with PTI's Finest Flourishes (LOVING this set), using Spiced Marmalade Distress Ink. Then I used Walnut Stain to add the "Trick or Treat" from WMS' Halloween Party. I used the spider from the same set, and stamped it using my new Versa Fine in Onyx. LOVING this ink, and highly recommend it as a black staple! I used the Walnut Stain ink to sponge the edges of the paper, to make it look a bit older. I then used this fantastic new shimmer spray I just got, to give it some subtle shimmer. It reacted with the distress inks, and caused some distortion which was a happy surprise - it added to the vintage appeal!

Can I just say how much I LOVE this coarse glitter from Martha Stewart? I was turned on to it from Jennifer Holmes' blog in this post, and then loved what she did with it here, and here. Here's how I made my tag:
I cut out my Labels 3 nesties, then stamped it with the coordinating border from Very Vintage Labels 3 (WMS). I then stamped my sentiment from Halloween Party, because the the font and the verse itself really reminded me of something you'd see on a vintage halloween poster. Then I used the small pumpkins from the same set, stamped in my Marmalade ink, then did the rock-n-roll technique into the Walnut stain. I then stamped the stems in Walnut Stain. The pumpkins fit perfectly with this week's inspiration picture over at Cupcake Inspirations. Finally, after distressing the edges with Antique Linen ink, I rubbed the entire image with a glue stick, and poured the glitter right over top of everything. I glittered the mat the same way!

I added some spiderweb organza ribbon (can you believe I found this at the dollar store?!), finished with a knot that included some major bling (I love the smokey colour of this giant rhinestone), and a little tag that includes "Boo" from Halloween Party.

I finished my hanging off with some eyelets in each top corner that I threaded my black satin ribbon through.

I love the Vintage appeal of this little project, and can't wait to hang it up in the powder room! As it worked out, this wall hanging will fit into a few challenges for me; Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge, The Shabby Tea Room Vintage Halloween Challenge, and the Cupcake Inspirations Challenge! Now that's multi-tasking...

Pin It

15 comments:

Papertrails by a paper lover said...

oh how cute this! Love the Beware!

Kay said...

Love this- especially that "spooky" glittery panel!

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Gorgeous card Meredith! Love all the shimmery sparkle & little boo tag! Thanks for playing along with the WMSC :)

Pattie said...

Oh how I love the sparkly sentiment! Thanks for joining us in the Tea Room!

Sarah Martina said...

How GORGEOUS!!! Love the glitter! So glad you joined us for the Waltzingmose Sketch Challenge!

Lisa said...

Adorable project! Thanks for joining us at Cupcake Inspirations!

Pauline said...

Gorgeous, I love the glitter and the stamped background.

Ida said...

Gorgeous wall hanging. Just the right amount of spookylicious sparkle. Thanks for joining the Cupcake Inspiration Challenge.

Belinda said...

Oh this is fabulous! What a lovely hanging!

Julia Aston said...

What a great Halloween hanging Meredith! love the ribbon and pretty sparkle on the image - thanks for playing with WMS this week!

Debbie said...

Ooohhhhh .. that glitter is DIVINE! Yum!! What an adorable wall hanging ... thanks for sharing with us in the Tea Room :)

Denise said...

WOW! What a great idea Meredith!! I just LOVE the whole thing!! I'm a goon for glittery and vintage so I'm hooked on your project. So glad you could join us this week at CIC!!

Rachel Hope said...

LOVE all the sparkle!!! Thanks for playing along at Cupcake Inspirations this week!

Anita said...

Oh goodness...this is beyond fabulous! I lurve that coarse glitter! Thanks for joining us at the Cupcake Inspiration Challenge! :)

PapierGirl said...

Oh, I just love your wall hanging! Too cute to end up in your bathroom! :) Thanks for joining us this week at TSTR! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...