Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Something Spooky... and some Candy!

FINALLY something for my second favorite holiday, Halloween!

Bear with me through this long post... there is a chance to win some candy at the bottom!

If you follow my blog, you know that in July I was just itching to get my paws on the Halloween stamp sets that Waltzingmouse was getting ready to release at the start of August. And come release time, I was at my computer with 5 minutes to spare, hitting that refresh button as quickly as I could to get my order going.

Then I waited and waited and waited for the postman to bring them to me, which seemed to take forever.

And then they came, and they sat. And sat. And sat. And every time I go to use them, even though I know exactly what I want to do with them, I still seem to fall short and can't quite come up with anything. My spook was just not there.

Then today I decided to play around with this week's sketch from 2 Sketches 4 You. A week ago, I went to one of my favorite paper haunts and picked up some great halloween DP from Basic Grey. Yesterday, I was stalking Nichole Heady's blog (Papertrey Ink), and found an amazing wealth of free templates. JACKPOT!

So I put it all together, and came up with this:
This is Nichole's Tri-fold card, as seen in this post.
I did print out the template for the envelope with plans to make it coordinate, but the accordian flower on the front of my pouch ensured that it would fit in no envelope. So I added the button tie closure instead.

The picture below shows the card as it is being opened.


Here is what you see on the first 'page' as you lift the top flap:


And here is what you find on the inside! I happened to have a York Peppermint Patty on hand, which fit with room to spare in my pouch.


All the stamps for this project were from Waltzingmouse's Midnight Feast. I used Crushed Concord distress ink on my little Winnie the Witch (I think that's what her name is, right Claire?), after I embossed her with black powder. I used the same ink on my label on the treat pouch, which I cut out using my Labels 3 nesties.

This brings me to my Candy Giveaway... Halloween is all about candy, right? I have a surprise bundle of scary goodies, that I want to give away. Here's what you have to do:

1) If you're not already, become a follower of my blog!
2) Tell me what your favorite BLACK ink is, and why.
3) Tell me your what your favorite embossing powders and/or techniques are. Do you like to use coloured powders with your VersaMark, or do you use clear powder with coloured inks? If so, which inks? Give me all your secrets!

You have until September 15th for your chance to win!

Pin It

14 comments:

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Not here for blog candy - just to get my fix of eye candy :) This is a darling treat holder Meredith! I love the purple background around the witch! So mysterious looking!

Angie Tieman said...

How cute!!! What a cool surprise that it ended up holding a treat! I love it! Thanks for playing along at 2S4Y!

Dana said...

What a gorgeous tri-fold card! SO glad I discovered your blog Meredith. I love WMS but haven't yet inked up all the sets I have either, don't feel bad!
The BEST black ink, hands-down is Ranger Archival. Get the large 5x7 size pad and you cannot go wrong. I've tried every black ink on the market and except for Memento (which I use with Copics) I will not use any other. It's been my favorite for almost 7 years now!

I love to use versamark with many colors of e.p., rather than many colors of pigment ink with clear e,p. My favorite source for e.p is Sprinkle-n-sparkle .com Awesome.

Thanks for a chance to win!

C Stephens said...

Hi Meredith. I love the card...I really want to get the WM halloween sets. I am a new follower and my favorite black ink is Memento because I like to color with Copics. My favorite embossing powder is black - superfine (I have Ranger and Stampin' Up versions). Technique favorites are creating my own background paper wth stamps and using my PTI dies!!!

Thanks for a chance to win some candy!

Kay said...

First, let me say I love your card, especially that accordion pleated flower- too yummy!
Hands down, my personal favorite black ink is Versafine Onyx Black. It gives THE sharpest, richest impression, and I've have tried SEVERAL brands before settling on that one.
My favorite embossing technique is to use the onyx black ink with clear embossing powder, especially if I'm going to color the image (helps to keep you inside the lines, too)
Really, you gotta try that Versafine!
Thanks for the chance to win some candy, and I hope you find at least some of our info helpful!

Joan B said...

this is gorgeous. you rock. (don't need the candy though!!)

Laura Davis said...

Awwwww this card is adorable!
Thanks for playing at 2S4Y!
Laura

Courtney Baker said...

This is just gorgeous! Love the medallion you made. Thanks for playing along with 2 Sketches 4 You!

bethping said...

Wonderful projects! Congrats on being named in the Honorable Mention on Spellbinders International Guest Blogger Contest!

Angela Fehr said...

found you via the Spellbinders blog! Love to find a fellow BC-er online! :) I'm adding you to my blogs I'm following list!
I just started using Memento Tuxedo black, also like Ranger's black soot distress ink, and Staz On of course! Is it weird that I love the smell of black Staz On?
Lately I've been resist stamping using Versamark and clear powder, then inking the design. Fun!

Emora Designs said...

So cute! Don't you just love halloween! What a fun and pretty treat holder! With your talent you really should consider entering the challenges over at Papercraft Star http://www.papercraftstar.blogspot.com they are offering a lot of prizes right now too! Oh and they post all of their challenges weeks in advance to give crafters a head start!

Mickie said...

Oh wow, that is just tooo super cute.

Gale Varland said...

Great card. You are right about the images, really cute.
My favorite ink is mememto. I love being able to use my copics on anything that I stamp without having to worry about smearing!
When it comes to embossing, I love Ranger clear detail. I use versa mark on my stamp, then stamp onto my colored mememto ink. I can then sprinkle with embossing powder and heat set. I love being able to use my fav. inks even though they are dye inks and normally dry to fast for embossing. Also saves me from having to buy another set of inks or all the colored embossing powders to get the colors I want (and already have in my mememtos)!

Lynn Stevens said...

I just found you via spellbinders! I adore Halloween too! Your card is awesome and Love the saying on the inside with the candy! LOL
My very favorite ink is Ranger Archival ,its such a deep black and you can stamp on anything!
I really like distress powders. after you heat set them you can scratch off bits. I Love doing vintage tyope art and works great for that.
Thanks for the chance at your Halloween candy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...