Thursday, August 12, 2010

Not Too Shabby Bag-a-lope...

I just think bag-a-lopes are the neatest thing... and my mother-in-law had a huge envelope that allowed me to make one heck of a gift bag.
Today I am using this bag for 3 challenges: the ColourQ Challenge #44, the City Crafter Challenge Blog, week 17, and the Card Patterns Sketch 76.

I needed a gift bag for my friend's birthday gift, and she is nuts for recycling - it is her voice I hear in my head every time I am tempted to be lazy and toss something recyclable in the trash! I knew she would definitely appreciate a bag that was made from re-using an envelope. This is also the reason my tag only says "Happy Day"... I knew she could then re-use it for any number of events, instead of being restricted to a birthday!
I am only just finding all these great colour challenges on the web, and I am loving them! They really do get the juices flowing and challenge me to use colours together I may not have thought of previously. This particular challenge for ColourQ was to use Regal Rose, Wild Wasabi, Tempting Turquoise, Early Espresso and White... I did not have the Regal Rose, so I substituted my Melon Mambo - it's a brighter colour, but a similar effect. I also do not have Early Espresso, so I used my Basic Brown. I wanted a more muted effect, so I also used some Antique Linen Distress ink on my embellishments, as well as some Vintage Photo distress ink on the scalloped lace paper.

I started by creating a bag-a-lope (find the tutorial here) out of a huge envelope (had to be about 14" x 12" or so). I scored 2" in on the 3 sides to create my sides and bottom. I then stamped my background in Basic Brown using a background damask stamp (sorry, not sure of the make) and my trusty stamp-a-ma-jig! I used a paper doily and added a pleated flower, some distressed white paper, and a flower detail, finished with a pearl.

Would any of my projects be complete without using something from Waltzingmouse Stamps? I used my Labels 4 nesties and the coordinating stamps for my sentiment label. The sentiment was stamped using the Victorian Alphabet, also from Waltzingmouse.

(The pic below includes a shot of the handle):
The challenge at City Crafter was to use hearts somewhere on the project. I have this great damask heart (if you know me, you know I LOVE damask) from the $1.50 bin at Michael's , which coordinated perfectly with my theme. I stamped in Tempting Turquoise and Wild Wasabi, then cut them out and distressed the edges a bit with my knife. I then used Antique Linen distress ink to add some more age.

Finally, it was all put together using this week's sketch over at Card Patterns. I just added some ribbon that I tied all the way through the bag, so that it will close (somewhat) when cinched.

What bang for my (time) buck! I did one project for 3 challenges, and they all co-exist beautifully! I know my friend will love this bag, not to mention her gift... remember my stationary set? We also picked up a special mug she's been coveting for months, so I know that she will just love it all. I love to make a good friend smile!

Pin It

9 comments:

june lanum said...

cute and clever, thanks for joining us at the CCCB

Charmaine Stack said...

Lovely, Meredith. You have me eager to try pleated flowers now.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Very creative, I love the Damask heart too, well done, thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Ros said...

I'm sure your friend will love this ... beautifully done ... thanks for playing along at CCCB

Mona L. Pendleton said...

Gorgeous gift bag Meredith! I am sure your friend will save this treasure!

Sylvia said...

What a wonderful gift bag! Thanks for playing the CQC!

Linda Robinson said...

So Clever. What a great Idea! Thanks for playing along with us at CCCB!

Cheryl Nelson said...

soooooo pretty!! great idea! Thank you for playing along at CCCB!

Sandra Farrell said...

Not too shabby at all. I love it. Beautiful work! If you love colour challenges, please come try ours this week at Stampin' Royalty. www.stampinroyalty.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...