Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Sunflower Birthday...

As you can tell, I am experimenting with some new looks on here... still not satisfied, and might start from scrap. BIL is going to be *so* impressed.

Back to cards!

So, you might notice a pretty new blinkie on my sidebar... I was beyond excited on Saturday when I tuned in for the latest Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge, and saw that my card had been chosen as one of three Top Mouses for the previous week!!! Honestly, I couldn't possibly put into words how excited I was about this - there were so many other fantastic entries, and definitely others I thought were better deserving than my humble contribution. This is my first little award, and I am so stinkin' proud of it! If you're curious, you can see my winning entry here.

Now onto this week's sketch - and I am afraid that I have not come close to last week's creativity. I was struggling with the sketch; how I wanted to interpret it. The kids have been quite a handful this week, and I am working on an average of maybe 5 hours of sleep a night (if you know me, you know I like at least double that amount). Anyway, in the very wee hours of this morning, as I was nursing my 7 week old, it came to me...



I need a birthday card for a friend who loves sunflowers. In my half asleep stupor, it came to me that Claire (the head Mouse herself!) had posted a tutorial on how to make ribbon flowers... so I thought I could use this to create a sunflower.

Here is this week's sketch:


And here is my card:


To see Claire's ribbon flower tutorial, check it out here. As usual, her tutorial was very easy, and such an impressive outcome.

I followed that tutorial, then I used a CD to trace out a large enough circle to become the center of my sunflower. I just used construction paper for this - I liked the sort of texture it appears to have. I cut the edge with pinking shears, then ran it through a cuttlebug folder to give it the 'seeds'. I made my label using my current fave, "Say it with Style".

It's not so great - I really feel it's lacking something - but I really did enjoy making the flower, and can definitely see doing something with this in the future!!

Pin It

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I don't think it's lacking anything! It's beautiful!! The ribbbon really stands out.

Julia Aston said...

Nice job on your ribbon flower Meredith! love the colors! thanks for playing with WMS this week!

Pauline said...

A stunning card, love the colours and the ribbon petals are divine!

Joyce across the Pond said...

I think it's a great card - like the fresh zesty colours of the ribbon. Nothing lacking in it at all in my ever so humble opinion.

Lory (Loryquilt) said...

wow! So gorgeous!! wonderful card and the ribbon petals are super!! Ciao Lory

Kate W. said...

The colors you chose are very soothing. What a great interpretation of the sketch!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...