Sunday, July 11, 2010

A challenge for you...

FINALLY! Waltzingmouse Stamps - which are quickly becoming my favourite - host a weekly challenge at the Waltzingmouse Sketch Challenge Blog. This is their fourth challenge, which means the first challenge was posted right after I gave birth to my second daughter. So I haven't yet been able to play along! The third challenge they posted was quite a toughie, and I haven't yet been able to create the card that I have dreamed up for it (lots of time to think up card designs when nursing at 3am). So while I won't get to play along officially for that one, once I receive my order of WMS stamps (any day, hopefully!), I will still take on the challenge!



Anyway... off on a tangent there.

This week, all the stars aligned. I was able to get on the computer for a few minutes to see the challenge sketch. Baby Girl has been sleeping for long enough and at the right time for me to be able to make a card. Older Sister has been very patient with mum, giving me space to create, and playing on her own.

Here is the sketch:


And here is my card!


The only WMS set, other than labels, that I have is the Very Vintage Christmas. So why not give in to the hot, sunny July weather and make a Christmas card?

I embossed the bottom of my card base with a Cuttlebug folder, then brushed my Gold Brilliance pad over it lightly to highlight it slightly. I stamped the label frame onto green cardstock with my Versamark, and embossed it in black. I then re-stamped it with Versa onto cream cardstock, and embossed it in a sort of aged red. I also stamped my holly pieces onto red and green card stocks, and embossed them in black. I then cut out the center of the label just inside the bolder line, and distressed the edges... this was a happy accident. I was using "River Rock" which is a SU! favorite of mine for edges - but because I was trying to work quickly, I grabbed a dirty sponge, which had a bit of orange on the side I used. But the little bit of orange that came through actually really enhanced the river rock!


Next, I stamped my sentiment and the accent detail in Old Olive (SU!). Put it all together with foam dots!

I stamped the background of my card base with the large snowflake, and one of the smaller flakes in VVC with my Versamark for a subtle pattern.

I just love this felt ribbon that I used for my bow. It holds such a great shape and has such nice body, plus has a sort of dressed up rustic feel to it. I added a gold button to tie in my gold embossed detail at the bottom. I played into this sort of rustic feel with the ribbons I laid across my card.


I am so glad to have finally been able to play along with the WMS challenges... hopefully it won't be to long before I get to again!

Pin It

13 comments:

Kate W. said...

Your card is rustic yet elegant... a hard combination to pull off and you did it famously! Beautiful! And a congrats on the birth of you new daughter!

Lea L. said...

This is so pretty! I love the stamped and embossed background...it looks wonderful with the tag accent! Great job with the sketch!

♥♥♥Lea

Pauline said...

Gorgeous Christmas card, love the gold shimmer on the embossed panel, very lovely.

Lorie a.k.a.The Peddler said...

Beautiful Christmas card, love every thing about this card. Great Job!!!

Jen Cuthbertson said...

This is a gorgeous Christmas card! I love your embossing, the ribbon, and the sentiment. Great job!!

Claire Brennan said...

Oh Meredith! It's a stunner! the stars did certainly align!! it's gorgeous!! Thank you for playing along with us @ Waltzingmouse Stamps!

Julia Aston said...

Congratulations on your new baby Meredith! I'm so glad you got to play with WMS this week! Your holiday card is lovely - the colors look super as well as the layered holly!

Sharli said...

Absolutely gorgeous Meredith! Yummy.

Joan B said...

what a beautiful card!

Ren-Yi said...

i absolutely love this card, meredith! the swirls and the inking was fun, wasn't it? i think i spied my xmas inspiration for this year's xmas cards!

Ren-Yi said...

CONGRATS, meredith :) absolutely well-deserved spotlight!

Helen L said...

This is just beautiful: you've got quite the artists eye!! Thanks for sharing inspiration with us!!

Charmaine Stack said...

Meredith, congratulations on being named a Top Mouse! This is a great card and response to the sketch challenge. I really like how deep the embossing is on the bottom panel. Lovely!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...