Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Peek-a-Boo Tutorial

Peek-a-Boo Card
As promised, here is the tutorial to tell you how to make the card I designed for the Waltzingmouse Blog Waltz yesterday. This was a design I learned during a workshop I took at a local scrapbook store this past fall, and it's so easy but still pretty impressive! I apologize for the quality of some of these photos - my lighting was just not co-operative as I was shooting these.

1) Cut your cardstock 9 inches long by 5 inches tall.

2) Score your cardstock at 1.5 inches, 6 inches, and 6 3/4 inches.



3) Fold your first and second scores over to create the pouch. (I took these pics late in the game, so ignore the fact that my opening has already been cut into the flaps).


4) Fold your last score back open - this creates the flap that will be secured later.


5) Choose how you want to create the window at the front of the card. In my example, I used a die cut, which I placed inside the card, face up, and ran through my Big Shot. This will leave an impression on the inside of your card, but use it to your benefit - it will line up with the window, making it a perfect spot to leave a sentiment! Or, turn your card inside out for this step, and the impression will mainly be on the back of the card. You can also use a large punch; anything that will create an interesting opening. When you use a punch, punch out your shape on scrap paper, then trace it onto your flaps so you know where to line up the punch when you make the actual cut.


*NOTE: Make sure your opening is centered between your folds, not the whole card. The right hand side will be sealed shut, so you don't want your opening to interfere.

6) Measure your holes down the right side of the card, however you want to lay them out. Just make them evenly spaced so that they look good. You can either weave ribbon through each hole, you can seal it with brads, or hey, if you want, just glue the flap together!


7) If you want to frame your opening, cut your shape (die cuts are easy for this!), and line it up with your hole. Then cut your frame to line up with the openings of the card. Adhere with pop-dots to give the card some dimension!



8) Add your sentiment or image to the inside of the card.

I have two samples of this card for you to see; one is the WMS submission, and the other is the original Christmas card that I made at the workshop I mentioned. You can see how they are the same and yet completely different... waiting for your interpretation! I think next time, I might flip it around so that the ribbon runs down the left side of the card. You can see with the Christmas card how different the effect is when you use a double sided cardstock!



Have fun!

Pin It

5 comments:

Ingrid Danvers said...

It looks great, Meredith. Well done!

Claire Brennan said...

FAB tutorial Meredith!! good woman!!

Charmaine Stack said...

Thanks for sharing this. It's a neat idea.

Belinda said...

Fabulous tutorial! :) Thanks for sharing this fun idea!

Sue W said...

Wow what a great little tutorial! Thanks for sharing x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...