The first card is a more ornate design, using one of my favorite colour combinations; bright orange and magenta. I used my Nestabilities to create the "flip", which took a bit of thinking, but worked out. I do think this would be better suited to a more rectangular design, which I plan to try tomorrow. So how did I do it without cutting the center out of my card? So easy... I used this tutorial from SCS, which explains how to dry emboss with your nesties in the center of a page, without cutting through. So I lined up my nestie with where I would have cut the rectangle for the flip, and embossed the paper.
Next, I cut out the sides of the shape with my knife, leaving it just embossed where the folds of the card do the 'flipping', which you can see in the photo below.
I measured out the magenta matte, and then used the next size up Nestie to cut out the shadow of my flip, using only the portion I needed. Next, I put it through my Big Shot in a Cuttlebug embossing folder to give it some dimension. The magenta is actually a shimmer paper, which really dresses this card up. I added some bling and some ribbon, and voila!
My second card, to me, just says SUMMER. I actually stuck to using scraps that came from the first 2 cards I made, so the base is the same navy as my Father's Day card, and the green is the same accent. The pink accent is the same shimmer from the above card. When I put them together, they made me think of sitting out in the garden drinking something with an umbrella in it!
This time, I used my Coluzzle from SU! to get the "flip" in the center. I measured out where the folds needed to be, and drew a light pencil line down the whole card. Then I lined up my coluzzle guide, and cut only the portion of the oval that fit outside of those lines. I also used the coluzzle to cut the oval from the pink accent paper to matte the navy.
I used a 2-Step Stampin' set from SU! to get the summery blossoms on the back. This was the first time I tried masking: I stamped the hibiscus first, then stamped on a scrap to cut out my mask. Then I stamped the yellow flower, and finally the little pink one. I tried to use nice bright colours only!
For the caption on the front, I took my time, and coloured the stamp in using my blender pens and coordinating ink. I tried to use as similar colours to my paper as possible! Then, when I was finished, I just 'huffed' onto the stamp, and laid it down. It was still a bit pale looking, so I used my blender pens to fill it all in nicely.
I am SO excited that finally part 2 of 2 for MIL's gift arrived in the mail today! This means that tomorrow I can get started on my contribution for the WMS Blog Waltz on Monday!! I am so excited, and am so happy to finally be able to try out 'my' new stamps!
Check back tomorrow, I might get crazy and give you a preview of what's to come on Monday...