Thursday, May 6, 2010

Birthday Cake, Anyone?

While I am in complete denial, facts are facts, and my daughter will be turning 2 this coming August. So, I can find solace in the fact that there's a party to plan!

I love to plan a party and all the decorative elements that go with it, so I usually start insanely early with at least the brainstorming. Shortly after Christmas, I was on one of my many Micheal's adventures, and I found all these wonderful Mary Engelbreit party accents. A very brief back story: When it comes to Emma, I have a major THING for anything that has cherries on it. So when I found a whole line of plates, cupcake liners, napkins etc. that featured a cherry image, there was no way I could resist. And so we have our theme.

Now, I could have purchased invitations that matched everything else I bought, but what fun is that? Imagine if I sent out pre-made invites? People would wonder where I lost my head!

So I was cruising the Splitcoast Stampers downloads one night, and came across all these really fun templates for all sorts of boxes and containers. So I knew I wanted to do something really different and original. Well, it is a birthday party, and birthday parties do sort of revolve around the cake, right?

So here you have it:



It has swirly icing on the top, a yummy jam filling, and blue and red icing accents. You can see that, like any good cake, some pieces have already been enjoyed!



You can see the plates that were the inspiration for the colour theme. There may not be cherries on the invites, but there will be cherries throughout the cupcake toppers, the thank you tags and thank you gifts (all still to come).


The template was super easy to make; I did all of these from start to finish in about 4 hours total. The tissue paper flower is the same technique shown in my previous post, in the flower pot. SO simple and quick, but so effective. The "jam" is just el-cheapo ribbon with a lace trim from Micheal's.



I put the top of the cake through my Big Shot with a Cuttlebug embossing folder to get the swirls in the 'icing'. I attached the tissue paper flowers through the top of the cake with the brad that holds them together, then crinkled the paper after it was all folded together and secured in place. I used the Martha Stewart Lace Border punch for the blue icing accent, being sure to punch first, then cut the strip - much easier than trying to punch a narrow strip!

But what about the actual invite? I just printed up the details on a small piece of paper backed with red cardstock, and slipped them inside the back of each slice.



And now I am off to start on cupcake toppers!

Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...