Anyway, my point.
Claire celebrated Waltzingmouse Stamps' first birthday this past weekend with a huge release of new stamps, and in anticipation of that release, she hosted a challenge for us groupies. As I am new(ish) to the online stamping community, this was actually my first challenge. Claire provided the sketch, and then tempted me with the opportunity to win ALL of her new sets - how could I resist?
Well, my entry was not the randomly chosen number, but I didn't mind, because I really REALLY enjoyed taking part and doing the challenge. Below is Claire's sketch, and then my interpretation of it.
And my entry:
I used the opportunity to make a Mother's Day card for my mother-in-law. We actually work together, and share not only our supplies, but workspace, so I had to do this sort of on the sly. She knew I was entering something in a challenge, but she still hasn't seen my card!
I had seen an old challenge on Splitcoast Stampers that intrigued me: create a card using shabby chic as your inspiration. Well, I LOVE shabby chic. My daughter's newly finished "Big Girl Room" is shabby chic, as it's the decor I always wanted growing up. I have been on this shabby brainwave for nearly 2 years now, ever since they said "It's a girl!" in the delivery room. So to combine 2 things I love? Done deal. I used Claire's challenge as my reason to try something out.
I have yet to receive my first shipment of Waltzingmouse Stamps; I actually purchased 2 sets as a Mother's Day gift for my MIL, so this all kind of goes hand in hand. Anyway, Claire was kind enough to let us virgins take part with what we have on hand, so because most of what I have is Stampin' Up, that's mostly what you see. I did the floral background in white craft ink, on the craft coloured card, hoping to emulate old wallpaper. Then I used a 2-step rose set (I SUCK at remembering the names of stamps, so bear with me). Instead of using 2 different ink colours - I felt this would be more bold than what I was going for - I used a VersaMark as the first step, then stamped over it with my palest pink ink. Then I used chalks (also a first for me! Have had them for a couple of years, and haven't gotten them out yet), using a pale yellow to shade in where the VersaMark was. This also added a bit of distressing just by fluke. I did the same with the leaves, using VersaMark and chalk as the base, and ink as the detail. I used my nesties Labels 1 for the base where the rose sits, and kept the die on the label while I distressed it, which is something I learned from Claire - and I love it! The "Mom" (in my world, it is Mum, since my family is Scottish, but MIL is not, so...) is stamped in a soft gold, from a really fun set I picked up on sale at Micheal's. Finally, I added ribbon, and used a knot with a decorative paperclip to emulate the third circle in Claire's sketch. I added some pearl and rhinestone details, and away we went.
I am really pleased with how this card turned out; a lot of times we really have to consider price points when we're creating, and this is a card that most of our customers would just not pay for (unless we practically gave it away), so it was great to have an excuse to go all out and really add a lot of flare! I know she'll love it, and probably keep it tucked away somewhere, so the effort will not go to waste!